Grain problem with ISO 400 film

Hello,

I'm using a Minolta STSi SLR. I always have problems with 400 film.

(Kodak). The grain on pictures is very noticeable and if I scan them

then the pictures are no more worth viewing. 200 film does ok and

pictures are ok. I'm not sure if this a camera problem or film.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,

- Sanjay

Well, not a specific question, so you're kinda asking for me to ramble :o) The one definite (pretty much anyway) anwser is that it's not the camera, grain is completely a function of the film. That said, under exposed color negative film (which is I assume what you're talking about?) shows signifigantly more grain than normaly, or over exposed film does (Traditional B&W and slide films behave differantly in this respect). That's the only place the camera can come into play, is if the meter is underexposing the film. If your negs look good though and exposures for 200 speed film look good, that's probably not a problem. Also differnat lines of film have differnat grain structure. From kodak, I find Max 400 film rather grainy, a bit objectionable above 8x10, where as kodaks portra 400 speed films, to me, makes quit good 11x14 prints. You also mentioned scaning, which depending on the scanner can accentuate grain as well. I'd say though that if 200 speed film looks good, shoot it, or even slower, in fact my ussual strategy is to shoot the slowest film I can get away with depending on the conditions. I also almost always shoot from a tripod with a cable release, and have become quite familier with reciprocity failure too. Keep in mind too that what's objectionable grain, and what's not (like many other things in photography) is pretty subjective, so it takes a bit of experimentation to figure out just what's acceptable and works best for you.

Peter

Sanjay, since you are using a pretty grainy film, I would suggest that you try Fuji Superia XTRA 400. This film offers much finer grain than Kodak Max 400. If you can't stomach switching to Fuji (why not?) then go with Kodak HD 400. If that doesn't do the trick, than you are either underexposing your prints (causes excessive grain) or you need to find another developer (although I do not know if this often causes graniness?).

Good Luck.

Happy Shooting.

Matt

Excessive grain in pictures from print film is usually due to underexposure. Are these pictures taken with flash or available light? Is the camera properly reading ISO speed code and indicating reasonable apertures and shutter speeds? Before chasing after film issues, make sure the film is being properly exposed. BTW, You don't say what size prints you're looking at.

I find Fuji Superia XTRA 400 has quite fine grain. Actually for normal scan (2800dpi) I don't notice much grain and in fact better than many ASA100 films a few years ago. The price is quite reasonable too. I haven't tried Portra 400 and seems most reviews are good, I'll give it a try.