Got my free Maco Infrared trial pack.

Yesterday I got my free trial of the new Maco Infrared prototype film (10 sheets 4x5) This is made by

Agfa/Gevaert in Belgium according to Maco.

In addition, in the package was a 25 sheet box of Roelli Infrared, and a 10 sheet box of Roelli R3, and a

little vial of ACU-1 developer powder, which I guess is their recommended developer.

Never having shot infrared film before, I would appreciate any and all advice on exposure, and how to

meter a sunlit scene.

Drop an email to Wolf Rainer Schmalfuss (a photo.net patron and the technical guy at Maco) I am also part of the trial and he was very helpful - his suggestion was 80ISO without a filter, and process as per the instruction sheet in the pack.

I have only just go around to doing some test shots due to family commitments over the Easter period. When these are complete I'll send the info to Wolf, and when he gives the clearance I'll try to share them here if anyone is interested.

The original offer to be included in the trial was in this link, back in February.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00K3xx

Nick

Hi Gene,

Shoot it with A25 red, F29 deep red, or the 87 or 88 IR filters.

While the films are not sensitive to Green, they are sensitive to blue, blue/violet, ultra violet, and red in addition the IR sensitivity peaking at about 820nm.

I think I still have some exposure/process times for Maco 820.

Lynn

I don't know the specs for this film, but the old Maco IR worked nicely with a RG715 (#88A equivalent) filter. The focus requires a slight adjustment, I believe I started a thread about this long ago in the LF forum, you may want to look that up. Focus is a bit challenging in LF due to the shallow DOF and different lenses having different properties.

As I remember it, a correction of 1/4 of 1% x focal length is usually required (for Kodak IR in any case), if you can make that adjustment to your focus (forward movement, having a helicoidal mount helps). For less extreme IR wavelength films (Knoica 750 or the equivalent), apparently need a lot less correction. Apparently, simple lens designs (4 element Tessars, triplets, etc.) focus IR rays best, and require little correction.