Got an old M3 Leica with two lenses

tholte

<p>Never thought I would ever post here on the Leica forum but I never thought anyone would give Leica and a couple of lenses. It looks like an early 1950's model and I am going to get it checked out to see how much it will cost to make sure everything is in working order. The guy that gave it to me said it had been sitting around his parents house for about thirty years. The lenses look like they are in good shape so I am not concerned about them. It would be nice if someone could steer me to someone that could look at them and tell me how much to get in working order. I used to be a film guy and it would be fun to pretend that I was HCB and walk around town shooting some black and white like a real photographer. As I am writing this, I am wondering if I ever made fun of Leica owners in some other forum, hope not!</p>

<p>Congratulations first off. You will enjoy shooting once you get everything up and running.<br>

I'd shine a small flashlight through the lenses and examine them carefully. Fungus, dust, fogging, scratches, 30 year old fingerprints, and messed up coating, can all be seen. Some are fixable, some not.<br>

In the USA. I suggest Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch for a tune up. She is the best, and usually has good turn around time.</p>

<p>In addition to the above, DAG (Don Goldberg) is top notch...but there is usually a long waiting list for his services (I mean often months, not weeks). Any of the above as well as a few others should be able to get your gear going for you, asuming there aren't serious issues. Congratulations on your good fortune!</p>

<p>Hi Tim, I think it might be worthwhile to first do a few simple tests yourself, like fitting one of the lenses and seeing if the two images in the RF patch (in centre of VF) align nicely when focussed on a measured distance object or two (like at 4 feet, 10 feet and infinity (a distant tree, etc.). If those coincide, try the different shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/1000 and listen to the sound. You may have to first exercise the shutter a bit if it has stood around unused for a while.</p>

<p>I had a collector's M4-P like that and it was only after exercising the shutter a fair bit did the slow speeds come back into shape. The shutter mechanism should sound regular with the camera to your ear and you can guesstimate many of the shutter times by simply looking through the lens with the back open.</p>

<p>If everything seems OK just shoot a small (20 or 24 exposure) roll of a full range subject, B&W or slide film, using various shutter speeds and lens openings, and get it developed so you can see the negative or slide without any print modifications (printing B&W or colour film will likely see any difficulties masked by the printing trying to compensate for errors).</p>

<p>Perhaps only then would I decide to have it cleaned and lubricated. You may be lucky and have a perfectly functioning M3 and optics. It happens.</p>

<p>I second the recommendation to check the lenses or have them checked. Unless they are clean, a perfectly working camera can do nothing. If you do a test roll (I would recommend inexpensive colour negative film), you should ask for prints because such things as flare and accuracy of focus are not so easy to see on a negative.</p>

<p>"Tim, I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Pretty funny Alex, in a million years I never thought I would be a Leica guy. Film is starting to suck me in again and it might as well be with a camera that started a revolution. Loading the film appears to be almost as goofy as my old Russian fake Hasselblad, hope I can figure it out. </p>

<p>My DS ( double stroke ) M3 is going in for service at AV Camera in Bangkok soon as I get back, which is of no use to you, suffice to say that the rangefinder is one very important mechanism to have cleaned and re lubricated or else it will eventually become sluggish, as mine has, then inaccurate, and/or seize up altogether. Yours has quite likely never been lubed, and 60 years of trouble-free working life is a bit too much to expect of any mechanism, however well engineered. So you have the right idea to get it seen to. The oil in the lens focus thread should also be replaced. You will notice the difference.<br>

With respect to all of the above comments, about "working" the mechanism to get it going again, and just leaving it at that, show only a little common sense, but zero respect for mechanical engineering. Old lubricants accumulate micro fine particles which will eventually exacerbate wear and tear.<br>

Aside from that, the images you capture with the camera are far more important than of yourself using it. Good luck and enjoy.<br>

Cheers, Kevin</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We provide <a href="http://www.avslearning.com/" target="_blank"><strong>onlinecomputer training</strong></a> for the starters as well as the experienced computer personnel for updating their skills as per the current market needs.<br>

AVS Computer College has designed its programs keeping in view the recent market trend of <strong>website development</strong> and <strong>online business development</strong> that has also created the need of <strong>online learning</strong> and <a href="http://www.avslearning.com/" target="_blank"><strong>online computer training</strong></a>among career starters and professionals for being a part of such enterprises.</p>

<p> Online Computer Training </p>