Got a camera, do I regret it now? HELP! (Fuji S7000)

Hey everybody,

About a week ago... I finally made the big jump and got a camera - a beautiful

"little big" Fuji S7000. Found it in classified ads and paid $200 for it, the

seller was a retired photographer and he'd gotten a newer model. Doesn't sound

fishy at all, does it? That's all I know from the guy - my dad bought the

camera for me since I was sick and bedridden all day.

Now the thing is, when buying a used camera, you don't know whether you're

buying somebody else's lovely camera, or somebody else's trouble. And when you

get such a great deal, you start imagining things. Now let me get this

straight: we got two used cameras previously - both were crappy cameras from the

start but worked very well. I'm trying to get in my mind that this camera just

*can't* be the exception.

The first few days it worked like a little wonder. I worshiped this camera.

Two days ago I brought it outside to try and get a macro of a fly. I pressed

the macro button twice, to get to Super Macro mode, and all it did was zoom in

and out. No macro, nothing. Tried to take a picture and it was all blurry.

Later on I tried again and macro worked perfectly fine. I put the blame on the

two-year-old rechargeable batteries I was using, which are ready for the junk yard.

Now just a few minutes ago, with brand new batteries (I took two pictures with

them before this happened), I turned on the camera and tried to take an auto

portrait. Pressed the button. It made a few funny sounds, then the

"picture-taking" sound, and next thing I know the camera turned off. I checked

to see if it took a picture and it hadn't. Turned it back on and took a random

picture of my finger, it worked perfectly fine. Then I tried to take an auto

portrait again and the camera turned off. Of course whenever that happens, I

don't see the screen so I have NO idea what it said. Either the camera has a

problem or it hates my face. I prefer to think that it hates my face.

If the camera has a problem, my goose is cooked! Not only I'll never dare buy

anything used again, but I'll have wasted a good $200 and I won't have a camera.

Plus I'll receive a lecture and be grounded for a couple years.

Does this sound like I'm imagining everything, or is the camera a piece of junk?

I can't believe the previous owner would have abused it. Is there a way I can

fix it? I'm taking care of this camera like it's my own child - there's NO way

I could have damaged it. I once accidentally lightly bumped the zoom when it

was turned on, but I mean I can't believe that could damage the camera. It

still took pictures after that and never uttered a complaint. This only started

two days ago. I'm so indescribably scared.

Help me, I'm so worried! I love this camera so much, I'd do anything to have it

work forever.

Well, the S7000 is a five year old model. Digital cameras, especially those not up to professional use, are bound to break at some point like all consumer electronics. But still it sounds a lot like a power issue -- it could be your batteries or dirty contacts that are causing all this. Get the best rechargeable batteries on the market -- I use the Duracell ones but I have idea if they are available where you live.

Or maybe the internal wiring has become flaky, or the flash thyristor is showing his age, or the shutter is worn out (if the camera has one). Hard to telediagnose a digital camera. It's highly unlikely that you can anything about it if the camera has real issues...

Oh my gosh. I just tried to take a picture using the zoom and it wouldn't autofocus. Then I went in manual focus and fixed the focus manually, took the picture, and it turned out very very dark (black, with a few hints of the subject). Each time I use the manual focus it does this. Either I don't know how to use the manual focus or something is very wrong.

I'm crying now, this camera means the world to me if you understand what I mean, and if it has a lense problem - I'm screwed. Thanks Bueh for the help - if it's a power issue it's reassuring that at least I might be able to fix it - but would a power issue affect the focusing as it seems to be doing?

It sounds like a power issue to me too. I think the thing would take AA batteries, right? That should be an easy replacement. Make sure the battery compartment looks clean and that there is no corrosion on the battery contacts (which could also cause the problem). If there's corrosion, do your best to clean/scrape it off, so that the camera makes a good electrical contact with the new batteries.

In answer to your question, insufficient power would likely cause very random behavior, including focusing problems, flash problems, exposure problems, and more. Dirty battery contacts would likely send the camera into an epileptic fit.

On another topic, I think this particular camera would be all electronic, except for the lens zooming and focusing. I respectfully disagree with Bueh that this (or the fact that it's a digital) would make it unreliable. I've never had anything electronic in a camera fail. My only camera failures have related to mechanical components (and I've been avid about this stuff since the late 1960's).

Anyway, dry your tears, smile, and get the camera some good power. I suspect you won't be disappointed.

Good luck! :-)

Sarah, thank you so much for the reassuring answer to my post - I'll check the battery compartment and see if it's clean. What I am mostly worried about is that maybe something got shaken up in the lens thingamajig (sorry - as you can see, I'm just learning those camera terms!) and prevents it from focusing properly. I'm probably also overreacting a whole bunch!

Try a new set of NiMH rechargeables. I think your camera's more than likely just fine.

Alkalines tend not to work well in digital cameras, especially older models. It is possible that you may not be able to get even 5 or 6 shots. Alkaline battery chemistry simply isn't well suited to supplying the kind of short duration, but very high power needed by most digicams.

Your problem is similar to many when they use ordinary batteries and the advice to use NiMH could be the solution for you.

You could find that the dpreview review of the camera when it came out will help you to understand how the camera works.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/page5.asp

With regard to the fly shot. You need to find out how the camera focuses. I noted [from dpreview] that the lens locks on wide angle in 'super macro', and I assume you have a little zoom range in 'macro'

The trouble with this set-up from an operational point of view, and I'm assuming that there is nothing wrong with the camera, is that when at wide angle you do not really get a tight framing, of a fly that is pretty close. I suggest that you set up a table with say a matchbox sitting on it and slide the camera in and out until you find at just what distances the camera will give you a sharp picture.

I suspect that you are expecting too much of the camera and/or not really understanding how it works so your 'success' have been luck rather than the camera working properly and other times not.

An alternative solution is not to use the macro settings but hold a small magnifying glass in front of the lens, for starters it can well be a cheap plastic thing from a discount store until you know what it is doing for you before you go spending money on proper photographic Close-Up lens. I suggest also that you go to this website and read about close-up lens and using them ...

http://www.geocities.com/nikon5700itee/CU-Digital

The camera appears to be a top-line camera and unless it really packs up there is not anything wrong with it .. so dry those tears and get to know your new companion and how to get it to work for you, it seems a very capable tool, and once you know how to use it open up numerous avenues in photography for you.

First off I know basically nothing but what I read and I do a heck of a lot of that. The little I do know came from most of the above experts like Sara Fox.

If the problem is an on again off again type of problem associated with it working correctly it would sound like the batteries, but this person doesn't sound like they are taking that many shots.

Sarah isn't it possible for the sensor to just need cleaning if it's not the batteries? After all it's used, who knows where or what type environment it has been in. Please reply as I feel soooooo bady for Tibby. I don't even know if it's possible for Tibby to clean the sensor herself.

Personally if it's not the batteries or a dirty sensor, I would complain to the seller or send it to the manufacturer with a long (honest) letter explaining the whole thing.

(Thanks for the kind words, Lola! :-)

Dirty sensors usually aren't an issue with cameras that don't have interchangeable lenses. Even if the sensor is dirty, the camera would have to be professionally cleaned, as it would have to be disassembled. HOWEVER, the fact that Tibby has taken some successful pictures with the camera suggests that the sensor is clean -- at least enough to take a reasonable picture.

I'm really betting on dirty/corroded contacts in the battery compartment. I had forgotten that Tibby had tried new batteries and encountered problems on the third shot. Although NiMH batteries do have a bit more oomph than alkaline batteries, the camera really should be able to run on alkaline. The only real difference should be battery life, but the alkalines should last for *far* more than 2 shots.

If Tibby rules out a possible battery problem, then I think there's little more she can do than to approach the seller and/or have the camera serviced. One potential diplomatic approach would be to ask the seller to explain what she is "doing wrong" since she is "unable to make the camera take pictures successfully." In all likelihood, the seller will say, "Sure, come on over, and I'll help you figure it out." When the seller is unable to get the camera to work, he might feel obligated to make good on the situation.

Tibby, there's much more going on than with the lens mechanics. The camera is very unlikely to have more than one problem, and the common link between all your problems is the camera's main circuit board. IF it's not a battery contact problem, it's probably a problem with a broken or defective solder connection on the board. One possible remedy would be to have a local camera repair shop replace the faulty part (e.g. the main board) with a transplant from a donor "junk" camera (e.g. with a smashed lens) from Ebay. Parts cameras can probably be bought for $5 or $10.

In all honesty, Tibby, you just got unlucky. I've bought numerous used cameras and have had generally good luck. If you consider buying used again (and I think you shouldn't rule it out), just make sure there's a return policy and/or some sort of buyer protection. For instance, there is buyer protection for many items sold on Ebay and paid for with PayPal. If you buy used from a dealer or store, there may be a warranty period offered. There are also camera warranties you can buy after the sale, for instance from Mack Camera (http://www.mackcam.com/).

Anyway, do let us know if it's the battery contacts! That's what I'm betting on!

Chin up! Good luck! :-)

Peace,

Sarah

Thank you for the help and the kind words. I haven't gotten around to checking the battery compartment yet but I'm going to do it right away and post an update later. JC, thank you for the advice and yes, I'm sure a lot of my troubles have to do with the fact that I have no experience at all with cameras. Lola, I would write a long letter too, but I doubt that Fujifilm would give a hoot about a camera that is about five years old. :( Sarah, thank you for posting again - your messages are so helpful and encouraging!

I'm so glad to have found this website - I don't know what I would have done without you guys!

Now I'm off to check the battery compartment. Again - thanks a whole lot!

Tibby, I'm glad to see you more up-beat about this matter! I'll just add one other comment, as I am a bit concerned about one thing you originally wrote:

"If the camera has a problem, my goose is cooked! Not only I'll never dare buy anything used again, but I'll have wasted a good $200 and I won't have a camera. Plus I'll receive a lecture and be grounded for a couple years."

Care to hear the opinion of someone who was in your situation once and who is a parent now herself?

I bought my first serious camera used with allowance money I had saved for quite a while. It cost $80, which was actually a lot of money back then. The camera was a worn and battered Honeywell Pentax H-1 with an awful semiautomatic lens. It had been used nearly to death by a local press photographer and sold to me by a camera repairman who had put the thing in working order. It was a piece of junk. Even so, it was all I could afford. My parents were very supportive and, indeed, were very proud when I bought that camera. It represented the evolution of my interest in photography. I bought it because I recognized I needed interchangeable lenses and filter capabilities. They were happy for me that I had found something to be passionate about.

Soon after I bought the camera, I experienced a malfunction or two and had the camera serviced a time or two -- at about $35 a pop, as I recall. My parents didn't lecture me, nor were they critical. They did recognize that I had a problem with a worn out camera. When I decided to raise money to buy a new Spotmatic F with a good lens, they were again supportive. I got not a single lecture about having wasted money on a worn out camera or about wasting more money on yet another camera. I photographed a couple of school plays with my H-1, sold photos to the actors, and soon had $212 in my eager hands. I placed an order with 47th St Camera in NYC and soon had my new baby, which I used for a couple of decades thereafter. All of this made my parents enormously proud. Sure I made some mistakes, and I learned from them. They recognized the value of that.

As a parent myself, I imagine your parents would appreciate that you bought this camera with your own money and that you are engaging in something besides Internet chat and computer games. If you were my daughter, I think I might discuss the pitfalls of buying used, but not in a critical way. My intent would be to help you to learn from the experience. And being a teenager, your perception might be that I was being critical of you for making an unwise purchase. However, nothing could be farther from the truth. I would have enormous sympathy for your situation and would probably find some way to help you to find a solution that puts a working camera in your hands. That's just me, and your parents might do something different. However, as a parent, I can't imagine your parents would be angry with you, scold you, or ground you. You should feel comfortable going to them for help with your situation. They might surprise you! Whether you know it or not, I bet they're very proud of you!

Hopefully you just have a corroded battery terminal, and this is all for naught. But there will come a situation, whether now or later, where you again see yourself in this sort of situation. Your parents are probably more in your corner than you give them credit. (Hey, it was your dad who fetched the camera for you while you were sick in bed, wasn't it?) Trust in them! OK? :-)

Peace,

Sarah

I'm also a parent. I've also bought a lot of used equipment, some good, some not so good. My daughter is grown up now.

I would write more, but Sarah has written everything I would want to say, and written it better than me.

Good luck, and do get back and let us know what happened!

Sarah, thank you for the kind words! I think my mom didn't even notice my little camera issues, and now my dad helps me a lot since he's "the" pro out here. :) So I kind of worried for nothing, but I have to say that if the camera WAS a disaster as I was so afraid of in the beginning, my mom wouldn't have been very happy at all. Sigh.

I'm not sure about how to clean the battery compartment and I'd rather wait to have my dad help me since I definitely don't want to damage it; my dad firmly believes that my problem is with the batteries - so we loaded the batteries separately and took out the four best.

I've taken about eighty shots with them so far, without any problems!

Probably I overreacted when I had little problems... now I'm reading the manual and trying to learn everything I can about basic photography, so hopefully in a little while I'll know how to use the camera properly.

And I'll get new batteries. And since I'm pretty sure a battery compartment cleaning wouldn't hurt, I'll convince my dad to help me clean it.

A million thank you's to all of you for having taken the time to help me figure out what was wrong! I'm so thankful to have discovered this website.

Best regards,

Tibby

Hi Tibby,

I'm so glad to hear that your camera is working for you. If your flash isn't working right, remember that you can always use an external/shoe-mount flash. I don't know what's available for your camera, but I'm sure there are lots of good choices out there.

Have fun learning photography! There's as much to learn about it as you care to learn. With only a little knowledge, you can get a lot of instant gratification. And then you can keep learning and discovering more, and each time you do, it's such a wonderful feeling. I was about at your level in the late 1960's and early 1970's, and it's been a lifelong passion for me. I've still not learned all there is to know. And I when I grow old and die, I will STILL not have learned all there is to know, because new things are discovered every day. In fact I've invented a couple of them. ;-)

So jump in, and have fun. The water's fine! :-)

Peace,

Sarah