Google Nik Collection adds Analog Efex Pro Module

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by lupo_lobo, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Here is some information on Analog Efex Pro from Nik ...
    It is supposed to automagically download and install if you had previously purchased the Nik Collection. I haven't received the update yet but it seems interesting and I look forward to it.

2. I received it and I'm not entirely happy. I'm glad Nik is showing signs of life, but I'm much less thrilled about having nearly a Gig of data dropped on me without an OK on my part. I have a metered internet connection and unexpected, huge downloads are most assuredly not welcome.

3. a number of people have reported issues..........
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1250836

4. I was the one who started that thread at FM , and my Photoshop is still down, no startup at all.

5. It's working for me on Photoshop Elements 12 but I have 2 issues; (1) Color Efex Pro 4 works if I open an image directly in it but not through Elements and (2) although Elements does not support HDR Efex Pro 2, I am unable to open an image directly in HDR Efex Pro 2 and it seems to me that I was able to previously. I'm on a Mac. cb

6. I use Photoshop CS5, Aperture, and the Nik collection on my Mac Pro computer, which is still running OS 10.6.8. The Nik software has not been updated. I check software updates before installing, rather than use automatic updates. I updated to OS 10.9 on my laptop, which runs Aperture (now version 3.5; earlier versions do not run on OS 10.9), but not Photoshop or Nik software. I have been considering updating my Mac Pro OS, but will hold off based on this discussion. I keep hoping that Apple will introduce an updated version of Aperture (4.0?) that will catch up to Lightroom. If they do, I will probably have no choice but to update the OS. As it stands, I am not missing anything significant for photo editing and printing by sticking with OS 10.6.8.

7. Why is HDR Efex Pro 2 not compatible with Photoshop Elements or Capture NX 2?

HDR Efex Pro 2 is not compatible with Photoshop Elements or Capture NX 2. Neither application is able to support 32-bit images, which is a requirement for HDR imaging.

8. I received the update: opens in Lightroom 5 without any issues. I also successfully opened from Nikon NX2. (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit machine )
    Len,
    NIK made a separate Color Effects for Capture NX2 which works from within NX2. As for the others there is a round about way - no, not the traffic control things in you street - to sent file from NX2 to Nik applications (Lightroom versions of Nik collections at least; instructions for Windows)
    From NX2:
    1) Edit -> Preferences -> General
    2) In Preferences, top selection, "Open Application With" -> Click Browse
    3) Click Google -> Open
    Nik Collection -> Open
    HDR Effects Pro 2 (or others) -> Open
    4) Mine opens displaying two items; a folder for the 64 bit and an application which I assume is the 32 bit
    5) Either open the folder for the 64 bit Application & choose or select the other 32 bit application (from Step4)
    From Capture NX2
    1) Click File -> Open With
    After a few seconds the Nik application should open. Sometimes I shrink the NX2 window. Also, sometimes I've needed to save the image from within Capture NX2 before an image would open.
    When finished in Nik application click Save. The image file returns as TIFF file so make sure the browser displays TIFFs. Obviously if you want to use several NIK applications from Capture NX2 then you need to repeat the steps above for each one.
    Hmmm ... maybe those traffic round about things are less of a pain.
    Joe

9. Hey, Lupo! Thanks for the head's-up on the Analog Efex upgrade! My iMac wasn't upgraded since I always put it to sleep when it's not in use. So I left my iMac on all day today, and when I got home--voila! The automatic Google Nik update happened! Analog Efex Pro now appears in my Aperture plug-ins drop-down menu, without me doing a thing. I thought it would download a new .DMG, and I would just toss that onto a USB thumbdrive, and install it on my MacBook Pro. But, no!
    There's nothing visible in the downloads folder in the iMac that received the automatic upgrade, so I don't see any manual way to get the upgrade onto the second computer. Does anyone know if the automatic update will upgrade a second computer, one that wasn't originally used for the initial paid Google Nik Collection download? Unfortunately, I didn't leave my laptop on all day with Aperture closed, so I'll have to see if it updates by sometime tomorrow.

10. Although you could've possibly inferred the procedure published below by another user from Nik's own troubleshooting FAQ, where Nik states:
    What if my computer is not connected to the internet?

Simply download the Nik Collection trial at www.google.com/nikcollection from a separate computer that is connected to the internet. Use a disk or external hard drive to move the downloaded installer file from the connected computer to your editing computer. Then, double-click on the file to run the installer. --Google Nik Collection FAQ
    A user named Hanif Barnwell, commenting on another site, elaborated that:
    To install the new Nik Collection upgrade, if you own the Nik Collection by Google, you can download the trial version in our website and install on top of your current version. Please, do not uninstall your Nik Collection.

When the download is complete, locate the file on your computer, make sure to quit out of any host image editing application such as Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture, double-click on the installer and follow the onscreen instructions.

The trial version will upgrade your Nik Collection with the latest updates and will be activated. --Hanif Barnwell
    This does in fact, work. I believe I just successfully updated my second computer via this method (downloading and installing a new "demo" version of the Nik Collection over my existing Nik Collection plug-ins), and my existing Nik license still appears to be intact. Analog Efex now appears in my Aperture plug-ins drop-down menu.

11. Looks like you got it all wrapped up Ralph. I ended up using the trail download to update.
    Have fun!

12. I run PS-CS5 and LR-v5.2, The upgrade stopped CS5 from loading- I could remove Nik from the Plug-ins folder, but had to completely un-install Nik and delete any Nik folders, then reinstall Nik v1.007.22671. My CS5 is working again.
    00c7Xv-543356184.jpg

13. Thanks for the tip off. Just created a system "restore point" on my WIN 7 computer in case it automatically downloads and PS no longer works. I can always go back to the restore point.

14. It is running fine for me, but thought I'd mention this in case anyone ran into the same issue: My GPU is not compatible and therefore automatically disabled. But with this update I had to manually disable it on some of the applications by editing the cfg files in order to run those applications...

15. Well, Analog Efex stopped Aperture cold on its first run on a quad-core i7/16GB MacBook Pro (with brand-new installs of Mavericks OS X, and Aperture 3.5), but restarting Aperture fixed it right away. On my older 3.06GHz CoreDuo/6GB iMac (which is still running Snow Leopard/Aperture 3.2), Analog Efex' filters, which seem fairly processor-intensive, really strained the machine, and took several minutes to render certain presets (oddly, "heavyweight" apps like DxO Optics Pro Elite run fine on that machine). Although Nik does claim to take advantage of your GPU's processing power, if you happen to have one of the ones they support. Saving the resulting .TIFFs on my aging iMac was also fairly pokey, about 30 seconds. Here's a few Analog Efex preset renderings from my MacBook Pro:
    [​IMG]
    [original]
    [​IMG]
    [Analog Efex' wet-plate]
    [​IMG]
    [Analog Efex' classic camera]

16. Lupo said:
    Looks like you got it all wrapped up Ralph. I ended up using the trail download to update.​
    Yeah, that seems to work just fine! Nothing like getting new stuff for free! Between Nik's new Analog Efex' filters, Color Efex Pro, and ApertureExpert's combo preset pack ($19.99), I have enough filters and presets to keep me occupied for a while! Have fun!

17. This has nothing to do with the Nik plug-in filters, but for comparison, here's a couple of ApertureExpert's preset adjustment pack effects. For those of you who own Aperture, I think they're also a fun add-on (though not as "powerful" as the Nik plug-ins).They import into your effects adjustment drop-down menu from within Aperture, and since they're only presets, they work immediately without any processor overhead:
    ApertureExpert preset adjustment packs:

[​IMG]
    ApertureExpert Looks 2: Pastel Plus

[​IMG]
    ApertureExpert Looks 1: Movie Dark & Yellow
    The ApertureExpert combo pack also includes a variety of "dirt," "film damage," and split-tone effects which are also pretty fun to play around with (however, they're not rendered, they're simply pre-made masks).

18. Line said:
    My GPU is not compatible and therefore automatically disabled.
    That's too bad. Yes, it seems this a relevant Nik specification with noticeable performance effects. Here's Nik's GPU compatibility list:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8 Series, GeForce 9 Series, GeForce 100 Series, GeForce 200 Series, GeForce 300 Series, GeForce 400 Series, GeForce 500 Series, ATI Radeon HD2000 Series, Radeon HD3000 Series, Radeon HD4000 Series, Radeon HD5000 Series, Radeon HD6000 Series, Intel HD Graphics 3000.

--Google Nik Collection
    My early-2008, 3.06GHz Core2Duo iMac has only an NVIDIA GForce 8800 graphics chip with 512MB of DDR RAM, which I believe is unsupported. Interestingly, my late-2011 Core i7 MacBook Pro came with dual GPUs: a Radeon HD 6770M GPU with 1,024MB of GDDR RAM (which I suppose falls under the supported "Radeon HD6000 Series"), and, also, an integrated Intel HD3000 shared-memory GPU (also supported). In addition to the processor difference, the resulting performance speed improvement is significant when using the Nik filters.

19. The Analog Efex Pro video tutorials are brief, yet good. They show you can do far more than the simple, un-modified presets I used above (click video links near bottom of screen):
    http://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/analog-efex-pro/
    I began with the sunset video (Analog Efex Pro Basic Workflow), and then all four short tutorials played in succession.

20. Possible bug report with the new Nik Collection when used as a plug-in with Aperture 3.5, in OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Full-sized (not full-screen) image view "disappears" after saving an Analog Efex process. After returning to Aperture, the full-sized view of the image displays only a blank, gray screen. Thumbnails are still visible. Re-starting Aperture "fixes" it. Anyone else experiencing this running Mavericks/Aperture 3.5?

21. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator Staff Member

I've found Analog EfEx to be pretty useful. For example, see the changes in this photo, the top is the original, not much done to it, the latter is after Analog EfEx and some touchup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. No complaints with Analog Efex Pro so far. Not sure how much I will use it but it was fun to see how much I could get out of what was essentially a throw away photo.
    00c7hH-543366984.jpg

23. It appeared out of the blue for me also; I only noticed it this morning. Not sure it'll get much use as it doesn't really lend itself to what I do, but I can't complain at free updates. That said, I never expected myself to use Color Efex as much as I do but started playing with it after I bought the Google/Nik bundle (mainly to get access to Silver Efex and Viveza)
    I would have appreciated a pop-up or something to let me know it had been downloaded though.