Goodbye - winding things up

JDMvW

<p>I have decided that my participation here is no longer useful or entertaining, at least to me.<br>

I lack the patience for the site, I guess.</p>

<p>I have enjoyed getting to know many of you over the last ten years. Others, I fear, I will be all too happy to leave behind.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I really, really, really enjoyed your posts being myself a classic cameras fan... Many people did too and your knowledge has been very helpful to many of us. I haven't been involved much myself in photo.net for years, excepted with the Classic Cameras forum. Why would you leave ?</p>

<p>Please have a stiff drink (of whatever) and reconsider. I've found your posts informative and entertaining. Furthermore, I will miss the periodic tower shot and classic camera trivia. Besides, spring is here....so good thoughts clear the cobwebs of dreary winter.</p>

<p><strong>Jon!</strong> many of us are here, at least, partly because of your presence and others like yourself. You may not be able to contribute daily or frequently. But please do think of participating now and then. I myself do that only when I have some thing interesting. I hope you are keeping good health. Best regards, sp.</p>

<p>+1 what SP just said. I hope none of us has done anything to piss you off. </p>

<p>Lots of us take a sabbatical from time to time, but it would be good if you come back to enlighten us when the fancy strikes you. You have a unique skill set: you rarely, if ever, behave like a horse's ass (an uncommon virtue here!) and you know a lot about poxy old East German cameras and ancient civilizations. Now, I ask you, who can fill those shoes?</p>

<p>That said, I think I know where you're coming from. Photo.net is not what it used to be, but then, what is? </p>

<p>I have always read your posts with interest and sometimes an inward smile (not LOL) at the terrible jokes. The question now is : what outlet will you find for that encyclopedic knowledge of East German cameras? I hope your decision is only a temporary blip and you will return refreshed.<br>

Take care of yourself.:-)</p>

<p>I think I know where you are coming from, as I too have left forums in the past for similar reasons, and if you are no longer getting any pleasure from the experience, then walking away can be the right thing to do. <strong>But</strong>, before you do, I'd like to say that although I haven't been here very long, your name is one of those that has stood-out - as a contributor who has something to say, and valuable knowledge to share. Whatever you decide - <strong>be happy</strong> - that's all that matters!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>JDM, even though my participation in this forum is pretty minimal, just to say I've always enjoyed reading your posts; where we crossed, we may not always have agreed (nor is that ever needed), but it was at least possible to comfortably disagree. You're among those who aren't too afraid to take one self not all that serious all the time, and on internet forums that is a rare and most welcome treat. I'll miss your contributions, but I can understand patience/will to invest more time in this little corner of the internet starts to run very thin.</p>

<p>Dear Jon:<br>

Your wit, humor and in-depth knowledge, all generously shared, has made photo.net an interesting place and an important learning tool for me and many others. I hope a break away will find you back in some other forums down the road. Thank you for adding a wealth of not only important content but part of yourself into this place. You will be missed.<br>

Lou</p>

<p>For these kinds of decisions there are proximate and ultimate causes.<br>

The proximate cause is usually trivial, as it is in this case.<br>

However, the longer-term causes are more like wrinkly socks on a long hike. At some point you just have to take off the boots.<br>

I do appreciate the kind thoughts very much.</p>