zpeckler

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if any of you could recommend a camera shop in San

Francisco (or the rest of the Bay Area) that has a good selection of

used goods at reasonable prices. I'm specifically looking at medium

and large format equipment.

Thanks a bunch!

Zac Peckler

No such animal. Calumet doesn't have any used gear right now, Gasser's is overpriced and Discount Camera, well let's just say that their name is a misnomer. None of the stores in SF have ever sold a lot of used gear in my experience and since the advent of ebay, the pickings are even slimmer.

I like Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto. They don't have too much used MF and LF (some though), and a large selection of 35mm. They're quite reasonable in my experience and good to deal with.

I left the Bay area in September, but they were still selling lots of used stuff when I left.

Reed

Yes, I'm afraid what William said is all too true. I get all my classic stuff either through

photography forums like this or on That Auction Site -- same with all my MF gear. I do like

Gasser's though... they are a bit expensive but they're convenient for me and sometimes my

time is worth the extra price.

They're not in the Bay Area, but you might want to check out Gluskin's in Stockton and both Camera Arts and Pardee's in Sacramento. All three are easily accessible with parking (not like SF) and have fairly good selections of quality, used equipment. Prices are reasonable but not rock-bottom discount (I would expect that there is some room for negotiation) and all are traditional, full-service camera stores with knowledgeable staff.

You could call them first to check out inventories and even hit them all in a day trip with an I-80E, I-5S, I-205/580W (or reverse) loop.

Try Camera Heaven on 746 Larkin (on the edge of the Tenderloin near Polk St.). It's a small

shop owned by a young Vietnamese guy in his 20's who really wants to establish himself

as a vintage camera dealer in the Bay Area. I found out about his shop this past summer

when I was browsing through some auctions on ebay. The guy (David's his name) was

listing a beater Leica double-stroke M3 for about $550, which is a decent, reasonable

price. I looked at his listing and noticed that he was just a few blocks from where I live, so

I walked up and checked out the camera and had a nice chat with him. His shop is very

small, but he had a bunch of nice Leicas (all M3's) and some Dual-Range 50 Summicrons.

He also had a row of Rolleiflexes on one of his shelves. His prices are comparable to what

you'd find on ebay (which is much cheaper than any of the brick-and-mortar stores

anywhere). It didn't seem like he had a lot of large format equipment, but he said he can

try to find any kind of vintage equipment that I needed (and his stuff is legit). I bought the

M3 from him and sent it in for an overhaul and it's become one of my favorite carry-

anywhere cameras. You can give him a call at (415)346-5169. I'm not connected with him

in anyway except that I've been a satisfied customer. I think the young guy could use the

publicity, too, especially because his prices are very low compared to anywhere else you'd

find in the city.

-Kevin