Good tripod for macros?

dan_spellman

<p>Hey,<br>

Recently I bought a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro for my 500D, and it has left my aching for a tripod. I only had a cheap flimsy one off ebay... and it broke already. :)<br /> <br /> I saw a Velba Sherpa 250R at TEDs. It seemed fairly sturdy and was $130 which I thought was reasonable. A review I read though, said "The Velbon Sherpa 250 does all I want it to do - except for the inverse pole approach for macros"<br>

I have no idea what that is, but since macros are going to be one of my main uses for this tripod, should I perhaps consider a different one?</p>

<p>The inverse pole I guess is the turnaround function for the middle pole - you can take it out and insert it top down, to get closer to the object of your desire.</p>

<p>Manfrotto offers such functions, too - the middle pole can be flipped, or placed horizontally, while the tripod itself can be put flat on the ground which might be interesting for you for all those little flowers. :-) Also useful if you need to span it over a tiny creek or other perspectives that require a bottom-up perspective. The 055 XPROB is in the same price range as the Velbon one, but without a head, and takes a bit more weight.</p>

<p>Hello Dan,</p>

<p>" ...<em>except for the inverse pole approach for macros"</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Trying to operate an upside down camera while being squeezed between the tripod legs is an exercise in frustration, believe me, I've tried it and it just doesn't work! A solid tripod with legs that spread wide enough to get the camera low to the ground is what you need. You also need a wired remote shutter release to eliminate camera vibration. Remember that any movement is magnified along with the image. The 055XPROB that Monika recommended is probably a good choice, plus a good quality ball head, or three-way head - your choice.</p>

<p>I must say that I've tried using my tripod in gallowpole fashion, to get the camera across a staircase. Nevertheless, with the small Manfrotto, that's a tedious exercise - the tripod kept falling forward and I had to stabilize the centre side. It works, though, but not as well as expected... and then, too, manoeuvering is a bit iffy - thanks to LiveView, the worst was just turned into awkward. :-)</p>

<p>Hi Dan,<br>

I have a gitzo g2220(explorer) that I like quite a bit for those difficult position shots. It is more than the Velbon, I paid $185 for a used/mint one on the auction site. This is without a head though, so you would have to budget for that as well, that said, I don't know of too many tripods that come with decent head. The explorer will lay flat and all the legs can be moved independent of each other as well as being able to move the center post pretty much any way you want to. Best to have a few models in mind and go to your local camera shop and handle them with and without equipment on them to narrow down your list. Hope that helps. </p>

<p>If you want to get all the way to the ground, get a tripod w/o a center post. I'd also highly recommend steering clear of inverted posts. They will take the joy right out of macro photography. You can also do some hand-held macro using a flash, but of course if you want to get into focus-stacking, you must use a tripod.</p>

<p>I grew up with Benbo tripods, those crazy "point the legs and column anywhere you want them" contraptions from England. You paid for that versatility: the Benbo was large and heavy. Now I use a Benro (not Benbo) C297N6 (aka Induro CX213). It's light, strong, the legs go ouy flat, the column adjusts to any angle, up, down, sideways, anywhere in between. It's like Darin's Gitzo Explorer would have been, had Gitzo's engineers been living in the same decade as the rest of us. ;) When you use the Benro/Induro like a conventional tripod, the column goes through the center of the tripod, instead of hanging off to one side, Gitzo shakey style.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Trying to operate an upside down camera while being squeezed between the tripod legs is an exercise in frustration, believe me, I've tried it and it just doesn't work!</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd also highly recommend steering clear of inverted posts. They will take the joy right out of macro photography.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's never been a problem for me. Decades ago, I had the old Benbo 4-way head (another product that no one has duplicated in the last 30 years) which could actually controt itself into being a "camera platform" with an inverted column.</p>

<p>And there's an even better solution. It's no help for someone using a 100mm macro, but the rotating tripod collars on teh 180mm Canon, 200mm Nikon (which I use), 180mm Sigma, etc. really add joy to macro photography. You can rotate the collar so that the camera is right-side up when hanging from an inverted column. You can go from a horizontal to vertical composition (or any angle in between) while staying centered on your subject.</p>

<p>I didn't realize the benro's center column was an actual center column unlike the explorer, pretty cool. I really haven't had any issues with the explorer being shakey though. If you have used it, I am sure you will agree a little common sense about the laws of physics go a long way. I typically don't extend out the center column more than half way, that seems to be the magic ticket. It has been a great tripod for general use as well, not to heavy to hike 8 hrs. up the zion narrows with, and extremely flexible enough for demanding slot canyon shots. I am sure it won't be my last but I won't be parting with it anytime soon either. Like just about anything it seems now the choices are endless. Unfortunately tripods can be very deceiving, so best advice is to do your homework and buy the best you can afford to, especially for macro, you need a pretty solid unit.</p>

<p>Dan, sorry to be off-topic, but I would recommend to add a dedicated tripod collor for your 100mm macro with which you can support the camera/lens combo in a more balanced way, and you can switch between portrait and landscape orientations without shifting the center of the image. The tripod collor for a 100mm macro is what I as non-Canon user envy very much.</p>

<p>Wow. You can get an optional collar for the 100mm Canon macro? I envy them too. I have three lenses with rotating collars (Nikon 200mm macro, 70-200mm f2.8, and 300mm f2.8), a 52.5mm extension tube that has a rotating tripod collar, and a PB-4 bellows that's modified to let its vertical/horizontal mechanism click lock in four orientations (90 degrees apart) instead of the original two orientations. </p>

<p>And I keep trying to figure out ways of building a rotator for the 24-70mm f2.8.</p>

<p>The rotating tripod collar is one of the handiest things one can possibly have on a lens.</p>

<p>Akira, I second or third(Joseph suggested it as well) the rotating collar, I don't really think it is that off-topic since Dan is looking for a macro set-up. You need not envy it if you shoot nikon(I don't know what other brands have) if you use a 105mm micro with a pn-11 extension tube. The pn-11 acts as a rotating collar and can be mounted onto a quick release plate giving you the balance you seek and the ability to switch from portrait to landscape in a snap. Pretty reasonable on the auction site. I got mine for a little over $200 in mint condition with the extension tube included.</p>

<p>Generally I would recommend a Gitzo 3-series systematic, but since you were looking at a $150, then your budget probably doesn't stretch that far. You can buy a relatively inexpensive legset if you either a new aluminum one or a 2nd hand aluminum or steel. It needs to be stable (typically meaning heavy in inexpensive tripods) and it needs to go low. Personally I think that an inverted center column is a waste of time and I don't personally know anyone who would disagree. Get a tripod that goes low, either without a center column or with a short center column. At least some Sliks have a neat feature where the bottom part of the center column can be screwed off, giving an instant short center column. The Slik 700DX often gets mentioned as a good tripod, but I really don't have any personal experience using it.<br>

Some rave about vertical columns, but I haven't tried those since they need some stabilizing to be useful.<br>

Do also note that you need a good head, quick release system, cable release for the camera and preferably also focusing rack. The good head and cable release are basically must haves. I use an Arca Z1, which is excellent. If you want a low cost head that is good, consider something like one of the larger Manfrotto 3D heads or other large 3D head -- they are not nearly as convenient as a good ballhead, but they keep the camera stable and offer a fairly good bang for the buck.<br>

The tripod collar that others mention is a nice way to handle the camera, but using a good L-bracket to attach the camera to my tripod, I really don't feel there's much of a difference which one is used for field work.</p>