Good Tripod for Canon 5D

betsy_yaros

<p>I was wondering what your suggestions were for a good tripod for my Canon 5D. I am a grad student on a budget (I was given the Canon through a grant). I do a lot of macro studio work. I have broken several tripods. I want to invest in a good quality tripod that will support and anchor my camera but also won't have me not eating for a month. Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Betsy, I agree with Tommy's specific recommendation. I love my tripods because they slow me down and force me to compose my shots. I currently have Gitzo Aluminum and Carbon Fiber pods but I started with the Manfrotto (Bogen) gear and dollar for dollar they are the best and they support their products as well as Gitzo and have a strong US distributor and service. You will never be embarrassed with a Manfrotto. Some of the knock off brands are cosmetically OK and that is all they are. When you start to handle them you realize why they are so inexpensive. KEH.com has a pretty good selection of used tripods if you know what to look for. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>I just picked up a Manfrotto 7301YB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ 3-Way Head - Supports 7.7 lbs with the 3-way head. Tommy's 3 section is rated 11 pounds, maybe due to less sections. But the all-in-one head and more compact when collapsed mattered to me, I'd like to fit it in a small packsack.</p>

<p>Anyway, it also has the reversing center columns, and I see you can splay the legs out to around 45 degrees. Normal angle can be exceeded by turning a little knob at leg joints. Both these factors allow you to get the head quite close to the ground, for macro.</p>

<p>I'm not that knowledgable on tripods, basically the reviews were good and it's seeming very solid so far (which isn't very far, LOL). Here's a link:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602431-REG/Manfrotto_7301YB_BB_7301YB_4_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602431-REG/Manfrotto_7301YB_BB_7301YB_4_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html</a></p>

<p>I also use a bogen tripod. which tripod you use depends on how much weight you plan to put on it and how high you want the view finder. Beyond that it generally get down to individual preferences. Do you want a light one, do you want one that folds up to a small size, or do you want one that gets down very low to the ground. The best thing you can do is to go to a store that carries a wide selection of tripods and try them out in the store.</p>

<p>Then you have to select the head for your tripod. My personal preference for the head is the bogen410 gear head. For me it is much easier to point it exactly the were I want it and it is easy to level. It also works very well for macro although you would probably want to put a focusing rail between it and the camera. When you go to the store to try out tripod you can also try out different tripod heads.</p>

I avoided even thinking about a better tripod for years because many would tell me that I needed a Gitzo in the $900 range. So I kept lugging my Manfrotto 055proB around, assuming that I wouldn't be able to afford a high quality carbon fibre tripod anytime soon. Then I discovered Chinese retailers on ebay selling Benro tripods. I purchased the C-2681 recently and I am more than impressed with the quality. I think in many ways this tripod is superior to the Gitzo model that it is essentially a clone of (2541T). That Gitzo goes for around$900. I paid just under $400 which included a decent ball head, a set of spikes and a very high quality padded carrying case.

So don't count out the Benros. Check out ebay sellers such as KGHobbie.