<p>Guys..<br>

Probably a repetitive question here...<br>

I was thinking of getting a good film scanner for my slides, since the labs are always expensive. What models are good enough to consider and worth buying?? Or should I just stick to the labs instead?<br>

Thanks in advance</p>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The Coolscans are the best mediocre scanners you can buy. The Epson 750 is slightly more mediocre but for considerably less money. Both are excellent for making digital proofs, much better than the automatic output you get from labs when you have your film developed.</p>

<p>I have a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 and a Nikon Coolscan V. The 5400 is hands down winner for quality, is much more tolerant of of scratches and dust on silver emulsion b&w and is more-or-less <em>the</em> scanner for Kodachrome.</p>

<p>I prefer the V for color negatives so far, it seems much easier to get decent color balance, running the scanner with Vuescan. It's also about twice as fast as the 5400, which is particularly an issue when either scanner's exposure is set up for color negative and the orange mask.</p>

<p>Mendel, that is another advantage of the Coolscan 9000 (over both the Coolscan V and the Minolta): It is great with both negs and pos and better with scratches due to it diffused light, and Kodachrome ICE. (In addition to MF capability).</p>

<p>Wow mauro...those B&W are kickass....<br>

Congrats! I shoot B&W but digital though...u can check out my profile. Of the few pix that I have there, like 3 are B&W...maybe you can contribute with some constructive critique =), and me...learn something =)</p>

<p>What is your price range, that is the real question. At sub $200 I'd say either the Epson 4490 or V500 (they are near identical, the V500 just doesn't require warmup because of its LED light source). If sub $400 then the Epson V700 or V750. If you have $1000 or so and no medium format then go with the Epson Coolscan V or 5000, if you have a bit more change go with the Epson Coolscan 9000.<br>

The V700 and V750 qualitatively don't appear to really be better then the 4490 or V500, or if they are it is by a slim amount. However, they can batch scan twice as many pictures as the 4490 or V500 and can also do 4x5 scans which the 4490 and V500 cannot do.</p>

<p>I've gotten great results with my Canoscan 4400, which cost around $150. I can scan up to 4800x9600 color DPI, which is plenty for what I need. I use it mostly for proofs/web. If I want a large print I generally feel better about taking my negatives in to a decent print shop.<br /> <br /> Being able to scan at home saves a lot of money. Getting processing without prints/cd and just getting an index card is cheap, and with Photoshop CS3s scanning utility it is a breeze because you can scan 6 frames and photoshop will automatically break them up for you.<br /> <br /> I've heard good things about the Nikon Coolscans, but they are a bit pricy.</p>