good scanner for slides/negatives??????

Depends what you're willing to pay. A macro lens and a slide copier on a digital camera works quite well but won't do anything for the dust. For Medium format or large format, flatbeds rule in the consumer market. You can try really any dedicated scanner for 35mm.

It also depends on use, whether you need 640x480 or some 38 megapixel file. There are great services which help if you don't have lots of time on your hands. Check adorama in the corner of the page.

Assuming you mean 35mm slides and negatives, and assuming you either already know or are willing to learn a decent software program to process your scans, such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you can achieve excellent results. Be aware that this involves a fair amount of time, some money and some excellent results if you put in the time and effort.

Regarding a scanner for 35mm film, just as the previous poster...Nikon Coolscan V or 5000, I made a lot of excellent 11x14 prints with a 2900 dpi Colscan LS-40, occasionally available used for a few hundred dollars. Nothing will match it for the price. Forget flatbeds for 35mm unless you want tiny prints or only for web presence.

Good luck.

Eric

I agree, Dave. I have just started scanning some old slides of mine with that machine and I am impressed by the quality even when it is displayed full width on a 19" monitor (about A4 size). If it was side by side with a scan from a Nikon then I may well say the Nikon's better, but looking at the scans I have in isolation I am not sitting there thinking they are poor.

You also need to consider that if the 'old' slides/negatives were taken with consumer-grade lenses more than 10 years old you have to wonder if the quality of picture is there in the first place. If not, then is it worth the expense of the Nikon Coolscan?