Good quality travel camera around $1,000.00?

<p>I have been researching everywhere trying to find the "perfect" camera for me. I currently shoot a Nikon D3 and D300. I'm taking a trip to India later this year for a wedding at which I will use my D3. However, when out and about I want a less conspicuous camera. I will be doing some street photography, but also traveling into the countryside where a zoom could come in handy. The camera must be able to produce good quality images, have buttons/dials for ISO, aperture, speed etc. without having to drill down through multiple menus, optical/EVF. My budget is $1,000 and I don't mind buying late model used. After combing through numerous website, here are my top contenders, but I am open to other suggestions:</p>

<ol>

<li>Fuji X100. (am renting the camera this week). Pros: Image quality, viewfinders. Cons: fixed lens, focusing, sticky aperture blades (which may have since been resolved), confusing menus</li>

<li>Nikon V1. Pros: can use my Nikon AF-S lenses with an adapter. Cons: No hand grip. Too many menus, no built in flash</li>

<li>Any of the various 4/3 systems. Pros: flexibility. Cons: expense of buying more lenses.</li>

</ol>

<p>No doubt I have missed several pros and cons. If there is another thread on this that I have missed perhaps someone could post a link. I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post in, but the 4/3 systems sound like they might be my best alternative.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Graham, I would heartily recommend a used NEX 7. The only caveats to that are your budget and current lens selection. I have seen used NEX 7's body only going for around $1100 or so. If there is no room in your budget for wiggle room then this probably wont work. Not unless you can find a killer deal on one. If you have any old manual focus lenses from just about anybody (Nikon, Canon FD, Yashica, Zeiss, M42 etc) you can use the excellent focus peaking abilities of the NEX to nail in focus fast with a cheap, readily available adapter. As for your requirements, please view my NEX 7 collection for what the camera is capable of.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157629936411965/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157629936411965/</a></p>

<p>Almost all of those were taken with manual focus lenses. Some are more heavily processed then others, but most are right out of the camera with only minimal post processing. The NEX 7 also has a clever Tri navi button system that is infinitely customizable so you can set it up pretty much any way you want. I never really dig into the menu system unless I am deleting all the pics or formatting the card.</p>

<p>The really big benefit of this camera is that it uses a regular APS-C format sensor with the interchangeable lens format to create a tiny, portable powerhouse of a camera that pretty much blows everything else away.</p>

<p>My apologies for digressing from you listed cameras, but the 7 is such an amazing tool I cant help but recommend it.</p>

<p>This is unfortunately the best video I could find with a quick search, but it shows what focus peaking is. Due to the viewfinder being electronic you can overlay all kinds of information on it that you cant on an optical VF. As you focus back and forth whatever is in focus will be 'lit up' on both the back screen or the EVF, whichever you are using at the time, in one of three choose-able colors (red, white or yellow).</p>

<p>Believe me when I say it opens up all kind of possibilities with old lenses.</p>

<p><a href="

<p>And personally he has way to much info on his rear screen. I like to keep mine quite a bit cleaner.</p>

<p>Thanks David, I had actually found the same video earlier on this evening. Although the video quality is not very good I am intrigued by the way the in-focus area gets outlined in red. I wonder how well that works on the LCD screen when you are out in the bright sun?</p>

<p>Hi Graham, since you already have a Nikon D3 and D300, would you consider adding something like a Nikon D3200 or D5100? While those are not mirrorless, they are still quite small and can share lenses and flash system with you main bodies. IMO adding a small DSLR beats maintaining two incompatible systems. Even Nikon's own V1 and J1 are practically not compatible with their own DSLRs. If you can add something like a 18-200 or the new 18-300 super zoom, you are all set for travel photography.</p>

<p>Just one comment on renting the X100. I also rented one just to see what it was all about and came away convinced that the initial reviewers were correct: great images, super high ISO performance , slow focus and a dog to use. Then the image quality convinced me to try one so I ordered from B&H fully intending to return it if I couldn't come to terms with its quirks. Long story short, the camera I bought is a very different camera from the rental and while not without some faults generally a pleasure to use and I love it. The firmware updates have transformed the camera into a real gem.</p>

<p>Firmware does not improve AF speed AFAIK. So, the quirky menu improved, no? No need to be cryptic here, what makes it a "real gem" and what specifically improved in the X100, Gerry?</p>

<p>btw, I'll eventually pick up a RX100, Nex 7, 5n, OM-D or the X100, if it significantly improved...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Shun, I'll take a look at those two Nikons and compare the size of them. What I am trying to avoid is drawing attention to myself while I am out in crowds in an unfamiliar place. For example, even though I own a Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S I wouldn't carry it around outdoors even on a D5100.</p>

<p>With my friend NEX-7, and my NEX-5N cameras side by side, set identically (as far as the iAuto green color marked mode allows), and in the iAuto mode used on both cameras, in a very low light condition. Both camera hand held.</p>

<p>The NEX-5N recoded at ISO=3200, F=2.8, Exposure time=1/40 sec. - good sharp picture.<br /> The NEX-7 recorded at ISO=1600, F=2.8, Exposure time=1/20 sec. - already a bit blurry picture, not as good as from the NEX-5N.</p>

<p>Unfortunately NEX-7 does not operate any Auto feature above 1600 ISO. NEX-5N seems better camera for non profesional shooters, who do not want to fiddle with other settings than the iAuto.<br>

NEX cameras are good for travel time, as a point&shoot replacement, pocket cameras with the 16mm pancake lens, as long as you do not try to build a professional system around them. In normal lighting conditions they both provide great pictures.</p>

<p>Graham, I'd guess that you wouldn't draw too much attention to yourself using either of Nikon's two entry-level DSLRs. Digital photography has meant that everyone and their mother has one of these cameras today. Just pair it up with the right lenses, and you're set. Adorama has the D3100 refurbished for $400, and many places have it brand new for $500. The D5100 is $650, and for street shooting has the advantage of a flipscreen, in case you want to shoot from the hip discreetly. I'd probably pick up a 35mm f/1.8G lens for about $200, since it's very cheap but is a very good image quality lens. The 18-55mm overall is a good lens optically, if you're willing to put up with the aperture, shorter zoom range, and build quality. Otherwise, there are many other options that will work well for you. Do you have any collection of DX lenses that you use on your D300, or do you use that camera overall just as a backup, and accept the crop factor's loss of wide angle with lenses like the 24-70mm? In what order are lenses most important to you, i.e. normal lens, wide angle zoom, midrange zoom, short telephotos, etc. If you have something like a 70-300mm even, you would probably be fine with it walking around. If not, get yourself either the 55-200mm VR, 55-300mm VR, or the Tamron 70-300mm VC which has a $100 rebate making it $350 (having the bonus of being usable on your D3 as well). If you want a better midrange zoom, you could probably get the D3100 refurb and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 HSM for about your budget.</p>

<p>If the Nikon D3100/D5100 with 18-55mm lens is still too large for you, the Panasonic G3 is probably your best bet, assuming that your primary consideration is budget and size. It has a viewfinder, has a flip-screen, has decent enough image quality, and is pretty small. The camera with kit lens is $550. The only problem is that compared to DSLR systems, you end up getting noticeably less for your money with micro 4/3. For example, the normal lens for this camera system is the Panasonic Leica 25mm, which is a cool $600, almost double the 50mm f/1.4 for your D3! Taking one step down is the Panasonic 20mm for about $360, which is a pancake, and decent enough quality, but overall a little disappointing with respect to focus speed and border quality.</p>

<p>I'll second the G1x. If you can live with the quirks, it produces tremendous images and is fairly compact. I've been using mine since March and have gotten used to the slow AF, crummy viewfinder, and no macro - but the IQ, articulated screen, and portability make up for these quirks. I wasn't sure about it at first but now I love it. You can pick them up used for around $650 or so.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If only I lived in New York City I could try all of them out at B&H or Adorama! Other than Ritz, and they don't count, we don't even have a camera store where I live.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I feel your pain. I have to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest, decent camera shop. So more often than not, I am taking a wild guess at my gear, or waiting until I can get to a store to try it out.</p>

<p>That said, How important are external controls? I may have missed that. I am extremely happy with the Olympus E-PM1 as a travel/compact camera compared to my DSLRs. Most of the time I'm shooting with it, I don't really use full manual, so it's easy enough to leave in Aperture Priority or shutter priority modes, and just use the controls to knock those around. And at the price, you could pick up a second lens, or two, to have a full kit.</p>

<p>Oh, and something like a Best Buy, if you have one near by, should have at least the base Panasonic and Olympus m43 cameras. I do think they are the best compromise of size/price/quality on the market.</p>

<p>Graham,<br />Renting the X100 seems a good idea to me because it looks like you got some information that may not relate to the camera after the firmware updates, as focusing and even the menus changed a lot.</p>

<p>Sticky aperture blades is something new and unexperienced for me, but the fixed focal is something real and can't be change. However, it has some advantages as the camera and lens are designed and tested for optimal results, not mentioning that the shutter used allows the use of the flash with no real speed limitation and a completely silent and quiet operation that allows the use of real low speeds under available light, taking profit of the high ISO performance.</p>

<p>The retro design, size and silence work in your favor for street photography as people will not feel intimidated and most will think you're using one these old film cameras that no present pro would even look at.</p>

<p>Finally, it is small enough for you to get a place for it in your bag as some people do for professional work - just a week ago I saw a guy with one using a neck strap and operating a Canon DSLR with a fast 70-200 zoom.</p>

<p>I took mine last year for a 12 days trip abroad and I did survive with no problem, besides I may be a bit biased and I need to confess that 35 mm is one of my favorite lenses for street, even with the D700.</p>

<p>So, if I were on your shoes I would take the X100, use it for street and general shots and when going to the country side in a place like India I would take the D3 on occasions I could suspect the zoom would be an asset.<br /> ***<br /> Still another point: the 3 stops ND feature can be useful too if you want to open the diaphragm with daylight and sunny scenes.</p>

<p>I agree with Shun. D3200 or D5100. Small & light, familiar (Nikon), and should take great photos. My advice is to just bring one small zoom lens (18-105, 18-135 or 16-85), and possibly one small prime. You will be surprised how versatile a single zoom lens is. Unless you are taking pictures of far away things, avoid bringing a big telephoto. It will just weigh you down and it will be used very little. I have made several trips to Europe with only a Canon 5D2 and a 24-105 lens and was never disappointed with what I brought back. I carried it with me everywhere (including 6 mile hikes) and never had to change lenses. If it were me, I'd go for the 16-85 zoom range. IMO, having wide is better than having long for most travel shots.<br>

I also use a Panasonic uFT G3. I like it allot and this has been a very good light travel rig, but IQ isn't quite as good as my Canon 5D2. Nevertheless, uFT is still a good trade off if you want to go really light.<br>

Good luck.</p><div>00adyB-484307584.thumb.jpg.491a83cb78499c1376ce9b397eb4d00c.jpg</div>

<p>Not sure why Olympus E-M5 is not the popular suggestion. It is now available body only also if you are not interested in the 12-50mm kit lens.<br>

I own it for a couple of months now and it is probably the perfect travel camera.<br>

Just curious: Where in India are you travelling? (I am an Indian)</p>

<p>Aman, the E-M5 is about equal image quality to the Panasonic G3 or Canon G1X, but the body alone would eat up his whole budget of $1,000, along with the afore-mentioned relatively expensive lenses, and it's also not readily available. Yes, it's small, but if budget and performance for your money are deciding factors, the E-M5 just isn't there. By the time you're at that price, unless you really want the additional size benefit and specific micro 4/3 lenses, you might as well just grab the NEX-7 if you want interchangeable lenses, or the X100 if you can live with fixed lens. Really, any camera is pretty solid if you use it right. Check out this recent thread of the Nikon V1:<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00adyz</p>

<p>How about the Sony Nex5N which is somewhat cheaper? Is that still a good camera? I would also be buying one of those Novoflex adapters so that I could use my Nikon lenses. If the Nikon V1 were a few hundred dollars less then I would be inclined to buy one of them together with the FT1 adapter. The ability to use F mount AF-S lenses is a very attractive feature. That would put me around $1,200 if I were to include two lenses and the FT1. By comparison a used Nex 5N plus adapter would run me a total of about $900. Maybe not a large enough difference to justify one over the other.</p>

<p>Graham, the NEX-5n is the same sensor as the D5100. What lenses are you planning on overall using? If you're already using your Nikon zoom lenses with an adapter, the camera body is going to be relatively insignificant in relation to the overall package size, and with the D5100 you retain autofocus, EXIF data, auto-stopdown for the photos, etc. If you're going to be using Nikon lenses, then Shun's original recommendation of a Nikon body is your best bet. Plus, the NEX-5n doesn't have a viewfinder or nearly the controls that you claimed to want.</p>

<p>Yes, I was just looking at a YouTube video of the 5n and noticed that it doesn't have a viewfinder. That would nix that choice. The two Nikon lenses I would use would be a 28-70 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8. I also own a manual focus 400mm f/5.6 for which I would use that focus tweaking feature. I will compare the D5100 body size against my D300 without the grip and see which might work better.</p>