Good prime lens?

jennifer_voss

If you're looking for something sharp as a razor blade and fairly cheap then look into the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. It's just a smidge over 100 bucks and pretty decent for portraits. The 1.4 version is closer to 300 bucks I think.<div>00PyaD-52403684.thumb.jpg.b0c97e793f7734ecac5067920e1b06e5.jpg</div>

That's the one I was looking at online, but didn't know if it was good or not... just randomly found it. I do mostly engagement, family, seniors, and weddings. I just never seem to get the detail I want when doing close ups. Right now, I only have the standard lens that comes with the camera. Any other suggestions on lenses? I need a zoom as well. !!

Another vote for the 50mm AF f/1.8D. Be sure to buy from a reputable source, either your local camera shop or a proven national source like B&H or Adorama or KEH.

Which lens do you have? The D80 came with a few different choices.

What's your lens budget?

Jennifer, the 50mm f/1.8 is a very good lens optically. While it may help you, it also is limiting.

The 50mm focal length on a digital body is actually a short tele lens. In other words, it does not have a wide angle of view so if you want wide shots or groups shots, this won't be the best lens. OTOH, it is a wonderful lens for portraits as long as the subjects don't mind you getting in close. Some people have a problem with that.

What does 50mm look like? Simply set your kit lens to 50mm. That will give you a rough idea.

There are many other possibilities but virtually all will cost more money. Setting a budget would be helpful.

I believe I have the 18-55mm lens.... FOr a prime lens, I wanted to stay under $200.... Most of my portraits are

somewhat clear, but when I try to take photos of my one year old, I seem to never get those detailed eyes, etc. I'll

attach a few photos

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/jynn10/layne.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/jynn10/jess.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/jynn10/claire.jpg

If you're wanting to stay under 200 bucks, just get the 50mm 1.8D. It's too cheap to contemplate whether or not to get it really, and you won't be disappointed as it's one of the sharpest lens out there. It will also autofocus on your D80. I have a D60 so I focus manually.

The EXIF data shows that the pictures were shot with the 18-135mm, a lens that has a reputation for very average performance. Nice lighteight lens for travel, but it doesn't have great optics.

That said, it looks like you may be a little soft on your technique. Be sure to cradle the lens with your left hand, and press lightly on the shutter button.

It seems like you are a prime canididate for the 50mm 1.8D. Besides being one of Nikon's better lenses, it's the only prime that's within your budget.

If you have kit zooms or less expensive zooms then the 50mm f1.8 is a great bargain and very useful lens. It makes a fine short portrait lens. It will be sharp and also great for low light work without flash. Some mid priced zoom are not real sharp with the f/stop wide open. Stopping down may help. Critical focus on the eyes can help also if you are not doing that when shooting portraits. The 50mm lens is definately worth it. $109.00 at BHPhoto. I am going to purchase a 28mm f2.8 pretty soon as a walk around lightweight lens.

The trouble with all zooms, especially the inexpensive ones, is that they are really optical compromises at best. All of

those glass elements are just inviting image degradation to occur via scattered / reflected light within the lens. This is

what your mentor meant by sending you to primes.

If you are shooting the "kit" lens that came with your DSLR. You will notice a huge difference in your images with a more

expensive zoom or a prime lens.

As for the 50mm/F1.8 AFD Nikkor. On a DX body it equals a 75mm lens, and works great as short portrait lens.

I strongly disagree with most of the answers.

First of all the 18-135mm lens is among the sharpest zooms there are, even if you spend a lot more. It is sharp even wide open. Go read the tests. It has other problems (distortion and vignetting). If you cannot get sharp images with the 18-135, you will certainly not with the 50mm.

Second, the most common reason to lacking success is the photographer. In both images posted here the light was not optimal, and you run into problems with DOF, and with contrast.

Before you buy a prime look at the focal length you use most often for portraits. The 50mm f1.8 may be perfect or may be a bit wide for your tastes. Its outside of your budget but the 85mm f1.8 Nikkor is also a very nice portrait lense. If most of your portrait shots are in the 80-90 range then IMHO you should consider the 85mm instead and save some to get the right lens first. The most important issue is how you will be using the lens.

I have the 50/1.8 and love it. I use it over 50% of the time. I have found conditions where my monopole really helps when the light is low and and my shutter speed in a little lower than a I like (this would work well with your kit lens) The 50/1.8 lens will teach you alot about composing because you have to move your feet to zoom in or out.

I had all these lenses 180mm F2.8, 105mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 35mm f2.0, 24mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8. They are all excellent ( the sharpest was 85mm f1.8). However, I sold them all and ended with Zoom lenses (except for the macro lenses) why:

1- I could not see any big difference between the quality of the photos coming from zoom compared to prime. There is always subtle difference but in this digital age where you can easily adjust the contract, saturation and sharpness then you can nearly correct any photo providing it has been shot in the correct exposure.

2- Zoom give the flexibility needed for quick snap.

3- Zoom reduce the number of switching lenses which reduce the probability of dust intering the camera.

For Nikkor 50mm 1.8 D to retain its auto focus Move the aperture ring to F22 and then mount the lens on camera. you will have auto focus working. This is a sharp lens for the money. If you like to shoot faces (Portraits) then I like the 90mm Tamron or 105 Micronikkor. Regards ifti

>Another photographer suggested that I buy a prime lense when I asked how she got such clear and crisp portraits.

This statement may be true 15-20 years but it is pretty dated based on the current zooms lenses.

In any one day, an image shot with the latest 24-70mm/2.8G will be more crisp and has higher contrast than the

50mm/1.8AFD or 50mm/1.4AFD shot at f/2.8. This is due mainly to its more current optical design and the more

widely available optical technologies in it.

I can say that this is also true with the 17-55mm/2.8DX.