Good photo apps for editing on iPhone or iPad

annalane

Hey, I usually use my iPhone for for photographing. Most often, I process photos on my smartphone using Lightroom or VSCO, but I wanted to ask you if you know any good apps for working with photos so that their quality doesn't deteriorate?

Also I want to share your pictures with you:

photo_2019-09-18_14-07-27.thumb.jpg.50105171143507a383161b7c6027e682.jpg

photo_2019-09-18_14-07-26.thumb.jpg.04a171b03de00aabe6c4c7b1e54fc1a2.jpg

While I occasionally use Lightroom mobile on my Iphone, the phone is not my main camera. Camera+ described above seems like an App that you may want to try out and consider, though I don't know if it would be better than Lightroom Mobile. I would suggest that you shoot in RAW, so that the photo editor has a better file to work with than if you shot JPEG. Also note that a camera phone file is generally not as flexible as a file from a large sensor camera, so extensive editing (like trying to lift exposure of the shadow areas) will more quickly result in image deterioration, irregardless of what photo editor you use.

Hey, I usually use my iPhone for for photographing. Most often, I process photos on my smartphone using Lightroom or VSCO, but I wanted to ask you if you know any good apps for working with photos so that their quality doesn't deteriorate?

Could you share some specifics on what you need to fix, improve or remove from your pictures? desired results? I worked for years on the digital room sort of saying managing pictures from diff depts, photographers and my own, there were patterns emerging, and then it's easy to come up with automated solutions, sometimes the recurring patterns appear due to:

• Your own gear (smartphone), and things could improve by using a filter or whatever (depending the case: diff solution) and it's worth discussing
  • Other times there are repetitive things to edit/improve due to specific limitations of the gear
  • Specific desired results in terms of contrast or sharpness
  • etc.

Diff people = diff methods, but at least from my experience, the less you need to edit, the better, specially if you are in some digital workflow because you would be doing the same over and over with diff pictures. In terms of images deteriorating, it's better to stay away from quality loss formats such as jpg. RAW would be a nice solution, or TIFF if raw is not possible.

Just saying... as an example: nice pictures, thanks for sharing because they might bring some light into the matter, I don't know the details or the story of the images you posted, but there are traces of artifacts. Some by the JPG compression but some due to what appears to me it's a sharpen filter. It could be improved working with the original using unsharp mask with some specific settings instead of the usual sharp filter. If you want to go deeper you could use some smart blur and layers to build a better image, this is done in Photoshop. When it comes to using the iPad or smartphone my experience is somehow limited because... while I played with it a few years ago, I found limitations, things I couldn't do there but I could on my desktop or laptop, like what I mentioned here and using LAB. I stopped playing with those apps (iOS) a while ago, I don't know how much they evolved. There is a big universe of options regarding having a small tablet (Windows) with Photoshop in it and some automated actions. In case you are interested, you could setup iCloud on your Windows device to access your automatically updated pictures (shot with your iPhone) and just a few clicks on full Photoshop will do magic.

IF you are interested on some of what I mentioned improving the images, I recommend you take a look at the wonderful work of Dan Margulis. Apart of different techniques, on most of his work he insist on AVOIDING the loss of detail, preserving it and enhance it.