Good Old Faithful Velvia

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I just got back from Italy. I took 2 35mm film cameras and left the DSLR at home as well. I shot mostly slide film (Velvia 50 and Provia 100F) and some colour negative film (Reala and Porta 160NC). I was so pleased with the Velvia results that in the future I will take just Velvia for landscape shots and some colour neg for everything else (perhaps Kodak Ektar?)<br>

Giovinazzo

<p>I've only recently begun experimenting with E-6, and just shot off a roll of the new Velvia 50. I already have an icc profile based upon an Ektachrome target. Do you think that will be good enough for scanning Velvia? I'm obviously not a pro, so things don't have to be perfect.</p>

<p>Mauro,<br>

I use a Nikon 9000 (one of my last big splurges in life). I'm starting to think that I'm getting some false colors when scanning print film because of my scanner. For example, a brownish red comes out too magenta. This happens for all Portra films. I don't blame the films, because I didn't get that problem when I used to make optical prints. At least with slides, I can use an icc profile when scanning.</p>

<p>"they ask where is the LCD"</p>

<p>I get that all the time where I'm out. Especially with the F4s. I had one young guy come up to me and tell me I was living in the past. I was using the F4s with a 20mm AI-s. I told him to look through the viewfinder. He was stunned at the size and clarity. Film rocks.<br>

I've got a D300 but it just does not do it for me and its such a hassle setting all those menus.</p>

<p>Benny, I have a Coolscan 9000 too and don't use any profiles. Mainly because the majority of my pictures are TMAX and Velvia. </p>

<p>If I shoot color negatives they ussually comeout nice without any adjustments. In nature there is also not a need for the colors to be accurate as long as they look as you intended. Here you can adjust using levels per channel in PS if needed. If for some particular application you need color accuracy you can use a gray card (or color card better) when shooting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Stephen, I agree. It goes beyond just the higher resolution of film, there is something that makes film superior - especially for landscapes- it could be the uninterpolated color or algorithm free image, I don't know. I don't see myself using my DSLR for landscapes ever in the future.</p>