Good Locations to Shoot

dan_culbertson1

Hello folks. I'm leaving on a long delayed vacation starting Oct 3 -- driving on I-10 from Florida to Big Bend National Park in Texas, then up through Carslsbad Caverns and White Sands to Taos New Mexico then on to I-40 back to Tupelo Miss. then along the Natchez Parkway down to I-10 again then back to Florida. Any suggestions for good places along that route to stop and use up a bunch of MF film? Thanks.

Dan, I grew up in Central Texas, so I can give you some tips on that part of your trip. When you get to San Antonio take I-410 west to Hwy 90, and then take 90 all the way to Alpine. It's a whole bunch shorter than taking I-10 across the Edwards Plateau. Not much in the way of scenery on either route, but you'll save a couple of hours taking the southern route.

<p>

There are many good roads in the Texas Hill Country, but not much to photograph this time of year unless you have time for a side trip to Lost Maples State Natural Area. This is a canyon about 75 miles out of San Antonio, and you might get lucky and get some excellent fall colors this time of year. If you want to go there, take I-410 west in San Antonio to Hwy 16, then go north on 16 through Bandera to Medina. From Medina, take FM 337 west to Utopia, then go north to Lost Maples. I can't remember the highway number, but it is marked, and it is also the only highway heading north. You'll see the Lost Maples General Store where 337 turns west again, and can always stop for directions. Tell Norbert I said hello and my wife bought a Volvo 850

<p>

From Lost Maples, you can take Hwy 337 west again, through Leakey and on to Rocksprings. Check a Texas map. I don't have one with me, but there is a gorgeous drive from Rocksprings to Del Rio. It's the only highway in that part of the state. Just watch out for a sharp curve about 20 to 30 miles out of Del Rio. People get lulled into the scenery on the straight stretch of road. You'll see all the skid marks leading into the corner. Just outside of Del Rio you'll pick up Hwy 90 to Alpine.

<p>

After you leave Big Bend, go north to Fort Davis, and stop at the MacDonald Observatory. They have an excellent visitor center, and set up telescopes two to three nights per week for public viewing. The last time I was there they had five telescopes, ranging from 3.5 inches to 30 inches. The highway from the observatory to Fort Davis is one of the most beautiful in Texas. This is a must-see every time I am back in Texas.

<p>

If you enjoy rigorous hiking, you can spend a day or a few in Guadalupe Mountains National Park after leaving Fort Davis. It is on the way to Carlsbad Caverns. If you try to get into the backcountry you had better be in excellent shape. You can stay in the lower country and get some good fall foliage shots in McKittrick Canyon. Ask at the visitor center. The rangers are very helpful.

<p>

Good shooting, and post one of your best on the photo.net nature forum for us.

Thanks to everyone who emailed me good sites to see. I'm leaving today. My room-mate promises me he will forward all my email but I've never been able to figure out how to get it (when I'm on vacation I tend to be mysteriously inept at computers!). Anyhow, don't try to send me any more suggestions -- I'll only get them when I get back then have to kick myself for having missed a good site!

Dan