Good but cheap domain registrars?

bill_tuthill

I have read bad things about goDaddy.com, although perhaps these comments are from competitors. Registrar

1and1.com is about the same price and seems to have a better reputation, though they are very low profile in the

US. Both are less than half the price of more traditional domain registrars. Any other choices?

<p>Just for the record, I've been using GoDaddy as my registrar (and host) for years for several domains/sites and never had a problem; I've found their support to be quite helpful, the time or two I've run into any kind of technical or registration issue. I'll leave it to others to answer your question, Bill.</p>

<p>Bill. I haven't heard as much negative about goDaddy as you have...</p>

<p>That aside, one day dynadot had a domain name I wanted up for auction, and I bought it. When I checked out their control panel to see about moving it to my registrar, I found their setup was a lot more powerful, yet much easier to work. So, I checked for reviews, found they had a good record, and left that domain there. Eventually, I moved my other domains there.</p>

<p>I use the services of several registrars. Network Solutions, GoDaddy, and several others. I do this for many personal projects, and on behalf of many clients. Honestly, I've never had problems with any of them. GoDaddy is cheap, and has easy to use self-admin tools. No complaints at all, and I've worked with their system for years now.</p>

<p>I've used Godaddy for years, after having troubles with NetworkSolutions and DirectNic. I've had to work on client sites who have used 1and1, and I seem to recall a problem with getting them to release the domain to the original registrar when they wanted to move the site to another host. I like Godaddy for their excellent dashboard, and it allows me to tweak how sites work. The only problem I have with Godaddy is their over zealous methods of auto renewing domains, even if you don't want to renew them. After registering a domain with a card or PayPal, I always remove the information so they won't use it, even though they magically had kept it on file and charged me anyway.</p>

<p>I've never used GoDaddy for either hosting or domain-registration.<br>

I have switched to using a separate domain registrar from my hosting company. That makes moving the site from one hosting-company/server to another totally painless.<br>

Personally, I really like <a href="http://register4less.com/">Register4Less</a>. Super company to work with. Maybe not super-cheap ($15/year).</p>

<p>I use WebzPro for hosting and they give you a free domain if you prepay every year. Very fast, excellent support and great amount of space/bandwidth. I'd recommend them! I also used moniker before just for the domain and had no problems (they charge something around $10 a year).</p>