GOLF --- 300mm long enough ?

robbie_caswell

I've been lusting for a 300mm AIS f/2.8 or Sigma/Tamron AF and a 1.4

teleconverter for use on my D200. This would give me something like

600mm correct?

Primary use would be golf, wedding and such...

Obviously not looking for your typical corporate group shot but

PJ'esque action coverage of foursomes and eightsomes for image sales.

A four-some (will full nose hairs) with a 300mm....right?

If you walk up to the group, anything from a 28mm to 105mm on a DSLR will do just fine. Now if you want full-frame swings of each golfer in the tee box, a 300mm lens on a monopod should work OK. Just be aware that golf balls do not always go straight. The monopod is probably needed as the 300mm may give some lens shake at 450mm hand-held.

I really like the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8: You can pick up a new one from Cameta for $1599. The only downside is that it lacks VR (IS). Originally these lenses were $2300; when they came out with a "new & improved" version the older model dropped in price.

I like to use my driver with golf more than a 300mm lens, the balls go straighter..Seriously tho, You may need that reach to find me and my partners looking for our tee shots in the woods..You would probably have enough lens to shoot from behind the green back to the tee box. Not sure you would ever need that much lens for shooting a wedding, unless its Madonnas and your in a helicopter.

Before the digital era, I went to five US Open Golf Championships, a PGA championship and 5 Westchester Classics.

In the film era, the two most used lenses on the course were the 400 mm f/2.8 and 300 mm f/2.8. That filled the frame.

I would recommend for a film photographer an on course setup of 3 bodies and 3 lenses: 300 f/2.8 on a monopod, 400 f/2.8 on a monopod, and a 17-35 mm f/2.8 zoom around the neck.

The zoom would come in handy when the golfers stray off the fairway and you can literally stand on top of them, or if you get position on an approach to a tee or at a tee. Otherwise, I think the 400 would be the most used lens followed by the 300.

Around the putting green and driving range a 28-70 f/2.8 zoom and 17-35 f/2.8 zoom would be best, leaving the 400 and 300 in the car or van.

If you ever got into the club house the zooms with a 85 f/1.4 and 24, 28 or 35 f/1.4 would be best.

Sorry I can't offer any comments on the digital side.