Goerz Dagor 3.5inch

wendell_kelly

<p>I acquired this lens some time ago and plan to start using it in the near future (on a 4x5).<br>

It is a tiny thing (not surprising in view of the short focal length and the f6.8 (a Dagor ater all) maximum aperture) custom mounted in a Prontor Press shutter. A previous owner evidently thought enough of this lens to have a custom mount done and have the shutter Prontor iris calibrated and engraved for the Dagor (nice clean implementation). The serial number, which I found on the bezels surrounding the front and rear lens elements, incdiates that the lens was manufactured between 1935 and 1950.<br>

Has anyone on the forum had experience with this lens? What are your impressions? I don't seem to find too much on the web for Dagor's below 150mm. (The front bezel of the lens, entirely in English, reads "Goerz Dagor f6.8 focus 3 1/2 IN."</p>

<p>TIA</p>

<p>I had one years ago...and was very impressed with its performance - at least in the realm of black and white landscape photos, where a slight axial tilt could be accompanied by a slight rise or fall to keep the coverage area reasonably "axial." Not as impressed with this lens for plane-parallel, lateral movements - so this lens would not be my first pick for architecture.</p>

<p>But wouldn't it be great if lens manufacturers could introduce some "updated" versions of some of the older "compact" lenses - particularly in the wide angle end of things? </p>