Glass film holder for Nikon Coolscan 9000- FH-869G vs FH-869-GR?

I wish to purchase a Glass holder for a Nikon Coolscan 9000 since

their standard MF holder is a horror. I see that Nikon appears to

make two of them (FH-869G and FH-869-GR and am unclear of the

advantage of one vs the other. I wish to mainly do batch scanning of

6x4.5 and 6x9 images? What is the advantage (and disadvantages) of

the rotating holder? Does it also take 35 mm film?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany

The FH-869G film holder works like the FH-869S holder except it has glass to hold the film flat. The FH-869GR film holder allows you to rotate the film by 5 degrees in either direction to straighten the image, but it will only scan one image in the strip at a time. If you want to batch scan medium format, you probably want the FH-869G film holder. A description of these holders is in the optional holder section of the Nikon 9000 User Manual.

I have the FH-869G holder and it is a major improvement over the FH-869S holder that comes with the scanner, but you will have problems with newton rings on some film. Some users are purcahsing a fluid mount carrier for medium format film. This film holder will keep the film flat, no newton rings, but it is more of a problem to mount the film. I constructed my own glassless carrier that supports the film on all four sides of an image, just like the 35mm carrier. I only scan 645 and 6x6, so I constructed a film holder for each size. I use this carrier for most of my medium format scanning - I do a lot of batch scanning of both 35mm and medium format.

• 1 year later...