Gitzo tripods

peggy_morsch

Help! I'm about to shell out some more of those hard earned dollars on a new Gitzo tripod and after having done some homework, I've narrowed it down to the 340 or 341. While I have all the specs on ht,wt, flat platform vs center column etc., I am interested in responses from real-life users. Specifically, these tripods differ by 1# in wt. Have you found that 1# (340 = 6#; 341 = 7#) makes a difference with up to a 500mm Nikkor (I occassionally rent one)? Also, if extra weight is beneficial, wouldn't stability also be enhanced by removing any center column (short or long) and replacing it with the specific Flat platform for the 341? The largest lens that I will most often use is Tamron 300mm/f2.8 with 1.4 telextender. Thanks for your suggestions!

Peggy:

I have a hard time keeping the numbers of the tripods straight with Gitzo, as well as the other guys. I do know I have used their tripods for 10+years without problems. Used in salt water of the ocean to the 35% mineral content of the Great Salt Lake, and they still work. I am not, however, a big fan of their heads. Oddly enough, I use a VELBON #270 pan tilt head-the only thing I have ever seen from Velbon that is made to pro standards. It is similar to the old husky heads I used years ago.

On your tripld, is it the newer mountaineer carbon fiber type? I know three shooters that have shelled out the shekels for them and each one is a satisfied customer.

Other than that, you might try putting your longest combination on the tripod & see how it feels there as you jostle it a bit.

Good luck

I have both the 341 and the 410 Gitzo and I have the rapid column on both and would'nt be without them. They are so stable that the few inches I may need in height (2-4"), I don't feel that there is a loss in stability that you need to worry about.

If your concern is limiting yourself to getting close to the ground for macro shots with the center post in the way, I have purchased from "Bogan" a fitting (sorry I don't know its' proper name but it wraps completely around the main leg and with a screw lever to tighten but don't overdo the tigtening here or you will make it difficult to extend the tri-pod leg and it has a 3/8" screw for attaching things , it's not the Super clamp - you can crush the tri-pod legs using this gadget) to which I attach an Arca Swiss B1 ball head and then my camera/lens for down to earth photos. Works very well and enables me to get the most from my tri-pod without forever changing columns and plates. Hope this helps, Gerry

<P>I have the Gitzo 320 which is very similar the 341; I guess the wing locks and leg spread are the main difference (plus a couple of extra pounds of load capacity).

<P>The 320 rapid column sits directly on the tripod (there is no wing lock); if you're worried about stability/weight, you could always hang sandbags from the center column and drape them around the legs.

I bought one of the smaller Gitzo tripods a while ago and used it for a 14 day backpacking trip in Alaska. I HATED it. I found the legs much harder to extend than my Bogen (3001 (???) -- their smaller set of legs) and I was only saving maybe .25 lbs over the Bogen tripod.

<p>

Anyhow, the Gitzo I was using had three entension clamps on the legs vs. Bogen's two so getting to full height takes a little longer. This may not be the case with the 340 or the 341. I hated the twist-style clamps compared to somewhat more manageable knob-style on the 3001 and the much more manageable lever-style on the 3021 (again, I'm not totally certain of the model numbers... Sorry). If you're willing to heft 6 lbs for a set of legs you might consider the Bogen 3021.

<p>

I won't even consider another Gitzo tripod until they change those leg clamp things -- not even the Mountaineer. When I was trying for a late in the day macro shot and I couldn't get the legs to stop slipping and my cold hands were worn raw from twisting those leg clamps, I knew I was never going to use those legs again!

<p>

Pardon the rant and rave... Just my $.02 worth.

<p>

Also, if you want more stability from a light weight tripod, rig up a nylon bag to hang from the center column (if you have one) or from as close to the center of the tripod as you can get. Fill the bad with rocks or something heavy nearby and empty it out when you're done. No weight to carry and all the stability you'll need.

<P>I didn't mention that I also have the Bogen/Manfrotto 3005S (3030 head on 3001 legs). Both legsets have two leg locks.

<P>The tripod base on the 3001 legs (no head) is 47" high (center column not extended). The base one on G320 legs (no head) is 60" high (center column not extended). The G340, G341, G320 and Bogen 3001 all have three leg segments (two leg locks); there is no extra set of leg clamps in this comparison.

<P>The 3001 is not the proper comparison to the Gitzo 3-series; the Bogen/Manfrotto 3033 legset is a more appropriate comparison in extended length, closed length, weight, features, load capacity, etc.

<P>I assume that Peggy has actually gone to a local pro shop and personally tested the usability of Bogen, Gitzo, and other tripod brands, and is not concerned about basic UI features (since she selected the G341 as a "finalist" vs. the very similar, and cheaper G320).