Gitzo GT2541 and RRS BH-40?

gabriel_hasser

<p>After blowing a few shots due to poor support (a $30 Ritz Camera special), I've decided to bite the bullet and shell out for a top of the line Tripod and Ballhead combination. After puttering about the Interwebs for a little bit too long, I think I've settled on the combination Gitzo GT2541 and Really Right Stuff BH-40 Ballhead.</p>

<p>The two heaviest camera/lens combinations I'll be using are a Nikon D40 w/ a 70-300mm VR and a Bronica ETRSi with a 150mm lens. A Mamiya RB67 may see spot duty if my friend wants to lend it to me. Admittedly, this setup is probably a little overkill (well, not for the Mamiya, but that'll be once or twice), but I want to have room to grow and not worry about buying anything else.</p>

<p>That being said, this IS an expensive setup, and even though I'm not really worried about the cost, I'm worried I'm spending money just to spend money here. This is further complicated by the fact that the only camera shop I know here in Austin, TX doesn't carry Gitzo Tripods, so I can't compare the Gitzo to say, a Manfrotto, in my hands. What do you guys think? Is this setup worth it?</p>

<p>I like the idea of a 4-section tripod, because I do a lot of travel and portability is something that matters to me. Also, I've read reviews saying there is very little, if any, difference between the 3-section and 4-section Gitzos.</p>

<p>As far as the Manfrotto 190CX3, I've used the aluminum version and found it a little short. If I was going to go Manfrotto, it would probably be the 055.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>is very little, if any, difference between the 3-section and 4-section Gitzos</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Given the smaller diameter of the lowest section in a 4-section, I would doubt that. But for travel, unfortunately, folded length makes a big difference and is a good reason to compromise.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm worried I'm spending money just to spend money here</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is ways a problem when Gitzo is involved but you are buying an excellent setup here. Though, personally, I don't see the superiority of the Gitzo that justifies the premium and would be looking at either Manfrotto, Induro or Feisol instead. The difference in price easily pays for a highly recommended RRS L-bracket for your camera.</p>

<p>The Gitzos are expensive but they are very good, I use two of them but as Dieter points out the Chinese manufacturers are now also very good. They have caught up with and in one or two cases surpassed Gitzo in both features and build quality, I bought a Benro tripod recently and I'm very impressed with it, so impressed that I was going to buy a replacement Gitzo but now I'm going to get another Benro instead. They're a little more than half the price of the Gitzos but the Benros are at least up with them in quality.</p>

<p>Also take a look at Markins ballheads. A very high quality product from Korea, they are more versatile than the RRS heads. RRS build good stuff, but they will lock you into using either their camera plates or those from Wimberley. The Arca-Swiss QR system is not a dimensional standard (unfortunately) and the Markins clamps are compatible with just about all of the camera plates out there including those from RRS.</p>

<p>Also if you're traveling with the tripod take a look at the rigs specifically designed for travel. I actually use two; a Gitzo 1541T and a Benro C-268 M8, both with Markins Q3T ballheads. I bought the Benro and its ballhead directly from China and S. Korea respectively on eBay and the total cost was under $600 with free shipping. Take a look at the specs and PM me if you'd like to know more detail.</p>

<p>I've used Gitzo's for years and never regret paying more for their features and quality. They last longer than virtually any other photographic purchase. I still use a Cremalliere III aluminum tripod from the 70's (the rubber on the legs was replaced once after 30 years under warranty). I also have three carbon fiber tripods - GT0531 ultra-light for long hikes, GT1541 for shorter hikes and a GT2541 for macro work. Each works flawlessly.</p>

<p>I'd also recommend using Arca Swiss compatible quick releases, but would avoid the lever release from RRS since they're not compatible with all plates and rails (s.a. macro rails). I've been very happy with my Arca Swiss Z1 (with Kirk quick release) and Markins Q3T ball heads.</p>

<p>The smallest section in a GT2541 is very thin - about 3/8 inch. IMO, this tripod is marginal for outside use with a 300mm lens (focal length is more important than weight). With a #2 model, I recommend sticking with a 3-section model, like the GT-2531. Get tje tallest version - you won't regret the extra height, which is still under 5'.</p>

<p>I have no such problems with a 4-section series #3 Gitzo, and a GT-3540LS is my principal tripod. If you are willing to spend this much money on a tripod, the GT3541LS is probably a better choice for not much more money. It is stiffer than you are likely to need, sufficient for a 400mm lens or professional video camera. It is a "Systematic" tripod in which the center section can be exchanged between a flat plate, column, leveling head or video cup. The legs are spaced enough so that you can carry it by one leg when folded, making it more portable than the 2530. It is also short enough (<24") to fit in a standard suitcase if you remove the head.</p>

<p>So-called "travel tripods" are too light and too short for serious business. They are for people who (1) hate using tripods or (2) have too much money to throw around on gear they probably won't like. A tripod IN a bag won't get taken out and used. A tripod small enough to carry on board an airplane is in the same category. Check the tripod, but carry the head in your camera bag.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm another fan of Markins. Beautiful product. Works as promised. Durable. Mine has been to sulfurous volcanoes of Hawaii; dusty climes of Malawi; brutal cold, winds and snows of Alaska's Beaufort Sea, and the rocky shores of Iceland's Westfjords. It still looks and works the way it did the day it arrived a few years ago. I have the small model Q3 and it completely supports a D300 with a Nikon 80-100mm attached. If your set up is heavier, I would go up to the Q10 but that of course adds weight you have to carry around.<br>

FWIW: Gitzo does make a 3-section tripod that fits inside 22" carry-on luggage...maybe the 2531? I don't have access to the model number right now. It is small enough to travel and hike with attached to a photo backpack, yet more stable and much more substantial than the little 4-section Gitzo I have for those times when weight and convenience trump all. It is also tall enough to use without the center column and without me having to bend down (I'm 5'8").</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So-called "travel tripods" are too light and too short for serious business. They are for people who (1) hate using tripods or (2) have too much money to throw around on gear they probably won't like. A tripod IN a bag won't get taken out and used. A tripod small enough to carry on board an airplane is in the same category.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Either you haven't used a modern Traveler or you're a view camera guy, or both. I bought two travel tripods recently and both have specs that exceed my trusty "heavy" Gitzo by a considerable amount. The Gitzo 1541T will bear a max weight double that of my current Gitzo and is less than half its weight, and the Benro C2680T is even better. Both have Markins Q3T ballheads with way more load-bearing capacity than my Linhof head. These tripods have effectively retired my older Gitzo. My heaviest camera is a Fotoman 617 Panoramic and I mostly use Leica rangefinders but depending on your use these tripods can definitely take care of "serious business". They could certainly handle the OP's Bronica ETRSi, that's for sure.</p>

<p>Just a quick message from someone new to these forums. <br>

I've been browsing many sites collating advice on tripods. What a minefield it is to the newcomer!! I eventually decided to purchase the Gitzo GT3541LS tripod which I'm thoroughly impressed with. For the head, I purchased the Gitzo GH3780QR which came with their medium sized quick release plate. (<em>Kudos to Vanessa at Clifton Cameras for the demonstration of the tripod and head and related advice.</em>) <br>

I'm very impressed with the whole setup which I'm using with a Canon 5D MkII. My only criticism is with Gitzo's documentation which is very much on the light side and I had to find some answers to some setup questions I had, online on forums. <br>

But I can highly recommend the whole setup. It's amazingly light. Thanks to all who supplied advice here ;)<br>

I'll return to update my experiences as they evolve.<br>

Cheers<br>

James</p>

<p>A correction to my earlier post: I have the 2541 and obviously it is 4, not 3, sections (that is the "4" in the 2541 model 3). On a fairly rugged recent Alaska forray, it was terrific balance between weight/size/stability. Any heavier and I'd have been unlikely to ever use it since the landscapes I shoot require a bit of hiking and weight considerations are significant due to back issues. The 2541 also fits in carry-on baggage if that matters. At 5'8" I did not have to use the center column yet it provided a nice hook to latch a bean bag onto for extra support. The Markins head was great. </p>

<p>I cannot comment on the merits of a 4 section gitzo but I did purchase a GT2531 earlier this year with the RRS BH-40 head and I love the combination. Just make sure you are able to handle those cameras/lenses on the BH-40 though. If you email RRS and suggest your potential setup they are quick to respond with advice in terms of the suitability of that head vs. the BH-55.</p>

<p>I like my BH 40 and I like the plates from RRS and Kirk which are both commonly sized for the Arca Swiss clamp. And I have tried and used other clamps. Again, to reinforce comment above, it is not really designed as first choice for such big boys like an RB 67, in my opinion at least. I would go for the head that is able to shrug off the heaviest you plan on, not the most often used equipment. The BH 40 is wonderfully small and lightweight and you will like it. Then you have to decide which clamp style to buy it with,several options there. RRS offers a return policy if item does not work out, you know. A nice thing. Good taste, compliments on, not going for the cheapest out there...</p>