Gitzo GS2320K

joseph_gledhill

<p>Hello. I am trying to convert my old Gitzo G1297 Basalt tripod to ground level shooting. Gitzo seem to have replaced the old short centre columns with a newer ground level kit which for me is too expensive. However it looks like you can just buy the disk separately without the column for a cheaper price. It is called the GS2320K but, by looking at the pictures, I cannot figure out how this would connect to the tripod - does anyone know? Many thanks.</p>

<p>

<p>Joseph, Both B&H and Adorama only carry medium length center columns now. If you can find one of the very short columns that were made before the ground level kit came out it will run about $80. The ground level kits that come with the current series 1 through 3 pods that have “rapid” center columns rather than base plates it will probably fit your personal Basalt if it has a similar series center column. The base plate of course obviates the need for a ground level kit. The ground level kit fits in the tube where the center column would normally go and does not require a column but relies on the tension between a fitted washer on the bottom and the disc that the head mounts on. I found a discontinued short column a while back that I prefer. When I pack for a trip I leave the head on the short column and pull it out to pack in my luggage separately. I can then reassemble it quickly and for me confidently. That being said the ground level kit should work well. You will need to buy the whole assembly. I would avoid jerry rigging a set up. Gitzo has gone through a number of revisions of their systems in recent years I think perhaps to stay ahead of the amazing knock offs that are coming out of China at anywhere from ½ to 1/3 the price. All of my aluminum pods have been discontinued in the last 2 years and my larger Carbon Fiber pod has been revised twice in the last 6 years. It has made things confusing. I have not regretted buying Gitzo for the extra quality and capacity. Good hunting.</p>

</p>

<p>"Ground level kit" in Gitzo jargon means (on most except Systematic tripods) bolting the column hook through the hole for the centre column to the column top disc and stud, and then tightening the centre column lock against it in the opposite direction from the direction used to lock the column. On current Gitzo tripods, no extra components are needed. On my GT1541T this simply does not work – the whole thing comes undone the moment you place the slightest torsional load on it. I'd be pleased to be reassured that it did work on some other tripods, but I don't see offhand how they would avoid the same problem.</p>

<p>However, the medium length centre column is fine. With the legs spread to the wide position, it is just short enough to clear the ground when fully down (so there would be no benefit in having a column any shorter than this, it takes you as low as the tripod will go), and provides as solid and secure a support as the standard column. So you probably don't need to look for a now-discontinued short centre column if there is a medium-length column that will fit your basalt tripod.</p>

<p>And if that doesn't get you close enought to ground level, another option to try is reversing the column and hanging the camera from it. That's not a clever idea if you are attaching the camera directly to the tripod, but it can be made to work if you are supporting the lens with a tripod ring – you just rotate the ring to bring the tripod plate to the top. You can get the camera as low as you like in that way.</p>

<p>Finally, the solution of choice for this sort of work is an Explorer tripod, but that's a serious capital item! I have an earler-generation aluminium one (G2220) that I boughtat a reasonable price as a close-out some years ago, and it is brilliant for low-level work.</p>