Gitzo G1504 -- How much to pay?

jaydesi

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I'm going to be buying a 4x5 kit tomorrow, and the seller also has the Gitzo G1504 tripod, the old aluminum and steel one, not the more recent carbon fiber model. I understand it's quite heavy (I don't plan to take it hiking), but it's quite the tripod. However, there haven't been any sales on eBay of it (there is one listed as a Buy it Now for about $820), and neither of us is sure what it's worth now. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I don't want to make an insulting offer, but I have to be able to afford it, as well.</p>

<p>I have the Flashpoint 1228 carbon fiber legs, which are listed to support up to 17 lbs, so even if I assume half that weight as stable, they would likely be fine. So my real dilemma is whether this tripod and head (he didn't specify the head model) are worth buying over the cost of a more appropriate head to use with the legs I already own. The height of the Gitzo is the real appeal for me, getting the camera up for a different perspective could be quite useful.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I wouldn't pay more than $250-350 for it. There is not much demand for huge steel tripods right now, and there are lots of high quality carbon fiber tripods on the market, both used and new. I've seen nice sets of carbon fiber tripods like the Gitzo 1325/1348 for around $350 used, and I'd prefer either of those over the bigger steel tripod.</p>

I use my quite old 5 series Gitzo for architectural photography and I'd not want to use anything else for my 4x5 work.

Mine has the geared column which adds even more weight. Yes it's heavy but it is incredibly solid, and for 15 second

exposures it's worth the price. Yes, it goes up to 8' tall, great for exteriors. I stand on my rolling camera/lenses case

and get that different perspective you speak of. I bought it off eBay about 7 years ago for $350 with no head. They

showed up on eBay every couple of months at that time.