Mamiya tripod. They have not been able to obtain one as yet but have

informally indicated that I may expect a price drop in the Gitzo's

come early spring. The reason being is that with other manufactures

becoming much better at building CF tripods, there is now more

availability of these items coming on the market. I am now tempted

to wait till spring to see what happens. Has anybody else heard of

this?

Regards,

You might check http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/tripods.htm also. His prices used to be MUCH less expensive, but now with the price drops in the US this year he's still a bit less. If your using it for LF only and don't need a center column there's the 1325. That's what I have it's cheaper and lighter. I've been very happy with it.

I also picked up a G1370M head for about 35-40% less than US prices.

Ed,

Mamiya "makes" (at least, I'm looking at the 645ProTL catalog) three carbon tripods, the AY701, AY702, and AY703. As I understand it, these are re-branded tripods. The ball head they "make" looks suspiciously like the Velbon PH-263 I have. (Uninspired, but it works.) List prices on the tripods is _steep_, from US$550 to US$791. In Japan, I'd expect at least a 30% discount. Still, when I mentioned them to the Yodobashi salesman who sold me the Mamiya he said they weren't worth it, and to just pick a tripod from their tripod floor.

GreyWolf,

I love your question. This, to me, is my undealt-with issue with

LF. I bought a Bogen carbon fiber demo from my local store, and

the weight is SO addicting, but the tripod itself is just crap.

Embarassingly so. But the lesson learned here is that carbon

fiber rocks. Especially with the Ebony.

I have this giant tripod, a Bogen one where you don't have to

release the individual leg releases; you just twist this thing that's

right at the top of the tripod, and the legs unlock. That design,

too, is addicting-- no bending over for each leg.

I would pay a grand or more for a tripod that married these two

designs -- carbon is a must, but there's got to be a better way

that the ind leg locks. With that big Bogen, you just twist the

release, and you can "walk it down" in any leg length you want. It

is so real-world-friendly.

but once you get a taste of carbon, there ain't no going back. I

just throw it in the truck and go. And with a quickplate head on it,

it's a good combo, if the design wasn't so chincy.

I will certainly watch this thread. I hope you find what you're after.

MT, http://www.marktucker.com

The Mamiya's are made by Promaster, and are junk in my opinion. Go with the Gitzos, or even better the Velbon Neo Carmagne 730/740 which I replaced my 1325 with. The Gitzos locks are a bit frustrating, and the Velbon 'inner jut pipe' system works <b>much</b> better. A similar design has surfaced on another Gitzo, so I predict in time that the same improved mechanism makes its way to the 1325/9 within a year.

Has someone an opinion on the Gitzo 1338 Video tripod? My dealer has one at half price, but is too far away for me to check. This model is similar in size to the 1325 but has the non modular half bowl design. But I was thinking of perhaps using the half bowl instead of a head, with just a quick release clamp on it. It only provides 30 deg. but that should be plenty for most shots and would make it a light (4.50lb/2.06Kg) yet sturdy tripod for long hikes. I won't miss a central column for this is only good to pinch ones fingers when one slips on the slopes ;-) Of course, adding a ball head for mid range hikes would make it more more convenient. Has anyone tried the half bowl to level a camera?

Ed, Really Right Stuff has some pics. The tripod shown is the 1325 and is part of the modular system. The one I mentioned is an earlier model where the legs support and bowl are molded into one piece and cannot be equipped with a flat or central column, as far as I am aware. (I considered that one because of the cheap price, otherwise, the modular system is certainly better). The benefit of using the levelling bowl instead of a head (when it is suitable) is that the center of gravity is kept low and it makes a light yet very sturdy set-up. I received some feedback from a member who uses it with his monorail and is very happy (thanks Bob!). A 1338 plus 1321 should be no more than 2,3 Kg and would offer even greater stabillity than my Studex weighing 3,5 Kg with ball head. I still have to find out wheather the two items are compatible or not... maybe not! Otherwise half ball head adapters are available from Bogen, but have no release lever and are rougher.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/on_the_level/index.html<div>004BwA-10559084.jpg.a6cf8d5301db739abb6636c1b1b9bd6d.jpg</div>

Just found an old spread sheet with better indications than those found on Bogen website... The 1321 leveling bowl weighs more than a pound and the 1388 set-up weighs 2.84 Kg (more than 6lb)... not as good a weight saving as I thought. The 1325 is 200g less. Still, two pounds can make a difference at the end of the day, but the bill is high.

Ed, you are right, the modular system includes bowl adaptors for tripods with a base plate fitting.

>Would the price/weight savings be worth missing the shots you couldn't do with that setup?

Well, there might be some impractical situations, but as I said, this would be the long hike light configuration. With a monorail, you can combine the tripod legs setting, the leveling base setting and the camera rise and fall to achieve almost any practical angle, maybe not that shot of the tree from it's base or the daisies in the grass. I know it will fit my style, but it might not work well for others. Then, I would mount a ball head when shooting at close range or using a medium format.

But the 1228 should be plenty for most 4x5 cameras. I like using long extensions, up to 450-600mm that's why I would need some of that extra strength from the 13xx with base plate and no head. My Gitzo 411 does the job for road side shots but is really too heavy to lug around and the Studex with ball head is a bit weak due to the head extension and not particularly light.