Gitzo 3540LS vs. Gitzo 2540EX (explorer vs. non-explorer)

ken_yee

Anyone ever make this decision?

I'm wondering if the explorer feature where the legs can be splayed at any angle

are worth more than the more sturdy 3540LS. I asked the question here instead

of the tripod forum because I do like landscape/nature photos, so the low level

shooting of the explorer may be useful.

Max lens I'd probably use is a Sigma 50-500 or a 600/4 at the most and the

weight difference is negligible (.3 oz in 3540's favor but $70 in explorer's favor).

Gitzo is supposedly cranking their prices up this month, and I thought I'd

revisit replacing my bogen 3021 before they do.

Of course, I could just get a Benro M-228 or Feisol CT3442 at half the price too :-P

<I> or a 600/4 at the most ...</i><P>

I would never, ever put a lens that big on a smallish tripod. I have one of the CF Explorer

tripods (forget the exact model; 3 leg sections) and tried it with a 500/4 lens (about 25%

lighter than a 600/4 IS). The rig was quite top-heavy and a bit wobbly -- did not inspire

confidence in stability.<P>

I very much like the seemingly-infinite flexibility of the explorer for macro work, but I'm

not sure how useful it would be for 'regular' landscape images.

There are two problems with infinitely adjustable tripods. Most important is that they don't have very good load capacity, especially when splayed out. Secondly, they require the same care and time to set up on level ground as for otherwise impossible situations. As a side note, the clamps are noisy enough to scare animals and to annoy people nearby.

The legs on a GT-3540LS (and most other Gitzo tripods) can assume three angles, including nearly flat. Using this simple adjustment plus the leg length, I find I can do nearly anything with a Gitzo that I can do with the ultimate in flexibility - a Benbo tripod.

I have several tripods, including a GT-3540LS. If I were to keep only one, it would probably be the 3540. The "Systematic" feature is extremely useful. I normally keep a GT-1321 Leveling Head in mine, for landscapes and video. If I wish, I also have a rapid column with a long and short stick. It is about as stiff as my big G-1504, but only 1/3rd the weight.

In retrospect, I would probably get the extra tall GT-3540XLS. It would require partial disassembly to fit in a suitcase, but is tall enough to keep a video camera above people's heads.