Gitzo 1550T Tripod Repair/Maintenance

gerrymorgan

<p>I recently broke the final section of one leg of my Gitzo GT1550T tripod. The replacement leg (referred to as a "tube", part number D1155.03) arrived with no instructions. I'm posting the instructions here in case they're helpful for someone. Part number D1155.03 is compatible with various Gitzo tripods and monopods. The model numbers are: G1155T, GM2560T, GM2561T, GT1550T and GT1551T.<br /><br />To remove the old leg from the tripod, keep loosening the threaded ring that you normally use to adjust the leg length. Eventually, it will come off and you can easily pull out the old leg from the leg section above it.<br /><br />Below is a photo of the replacement leg/tube, as I received it. The problem is that the threaded ring that you loosen and tighten when adjusting (or removing)the leg does not fit over either the plastic bushing or the rubber foot. It fits perfectly over the carbon fiber tube, with no room for the bushing or foot. So the dilemma is whether to remove the bushing or the foot in order to install the threaded ring.</p><div>00b5lm-506883584.jpg.137e3d6373b8555167031c33a6f372b0.jpg</div>

<p>I first tried to unscrew the rubber foot. I applied considerable torque to the foot on the old, broken leg. But it would not move. I think it's permanently attached.<br /><br />The solution turned out to be to gently prise apart the bushing. Here's a close-up of the bushing on the tube. By the way, you might sometimes see it referred to as a washer, but it's really a bushing (it acts as a bearing that allows the tube to rotate smoothly inside the large tube that it fits into).<br /><br /></p><div>00b5ln-506883684.jpg.6e00935a769fa38cd8f34650f2335f28.jpg</div>

<p>And here is the bushing reinstalled on the tube, with the threaded ring in place. You can see the threaded ring on the right of the photo. You can also see another, smaller bushing that did not come with the replacement tube/leg. It was on the old, broken leg so I installed it on the new one.<br /><br />The final step is to insert the tube into the tube above it (i.e., the next leg section) and tighten the threaded ring.<br /><br />My GT1550T is now as good as new. I hope these instructions will help someone else carry out the same maintenance on their broken tripod or monopod.<br /><br /></p><div>00b5lr-506883984.jpg.e4a6ddee2727fac7184cd2b43c5cd4ff.jpg</div>