"Girls on Film" Motor Drive

joe90

Does anyone know what body and motor drive were used by Duran Duran for the

sound effects for the 1981 single?

There is a Girls on Film video, quite raunchy, originally banned by the beeb,

and there is a Nikon body (amongst others) that might an FM?, with a round

eyepiece. However, the video doesn't start with the motordrive, and must be a

different performance entirely to the single.

I read on wikipedia that it was the band manager, Paul Berrow's Nikon camera

that could be heard at the start. Fantastic. Anyone know what it was?

There is an uncensored version of the video where you don't need a modern HD TV in order to see a bit more....the girls are mud wrestling topless :)

Anyway, back to motor drives in music. The only other instance that I have heard is in Jean Michel Jarre's track "Souvenir of China". Anyone have a clue what MD is used in this one?

I did alittle research and found "Freeze Frame" came out in 1981 and the F3 was released in 1980, so it's possible the F3/MD-4 combo was used in the song (assuming the MD-4 came out the same time).

By the way, where could someone see the uncensored version of "Girls on Film"?!

The uncensored video used to be played at late night on VH1 / MTV in the UK a few years back. Haven't tuned in for a while, so don't know about now.

Dependant upon your view on P2P file sharing, you can download it using something like Limewire of Bearflix. Have just checked Bearflix & it is available as a 63MB download.

<i>The only other instance that I have heard is in Jean Michel Jarre's track "Souvenir of China". Anyone have a clue what MD is used in this one?</i><p>

David,<br>

I hate to spoil the party, but if I recall correctly it was said in those days that Jean Michel Jarre was the first to be able to electronically imitate the sound of a motordriven camera with a synthesizer... Don't think it was sampled from a real camera. <p>

Regards,<br>Kris.

No worries. I have listened to a lot of his music & him doing it through a synthesiser wouldn't surprise me in the least.

However, at the time of the concerts in China (Autumn 1981 I think), he was married to Charlotte Rampling, who was into photography & was a bit of a dab hand with a camera.

I have just dug out a book on Jarre that I have with quite a few photo's that she has taken in it. In the book, there is a photo of her & Jarre together with her holding an F3....Admittedly it doesn't look to have an MD-4 attached in the picture, but you never know. Perhaps the MD-4 was in the gadget bag & it was attached & used for the Souvenir of China track?

One day, I might get around to playing the track & comparing it to my F3 & MD-4. Have got an MN-2 nicad pack for it (It sounds quite different when run off of this), so can & try it with this & regular alkalines to see how similar it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
I did a bit more detective work! I listened to the Duran Duran intro, then went straight to the local camera shop. They had an FE and MD12. The FE sounded relatively quiet in between shots. The batteries may have been old though. The next day I noticed an F3 with motor drive. That sounded just like the song intro. Checking on the Nikon's site, it says the F3 was introduced in 1980. So an F3 looks favorite at the moment.

• 1 month later...