Gigapixel Project

nancy_bueler

Thats been around and it is a very ambitious effort, but really there are quite a few people shooting ULF. I think the big differnece is these guys are scanning and printing huge where most people shooting 11x14 cameras and such contact print. I am still trying to figure out what they scan with. Check out this site. Its a good one.

http://www.mamutphoto.com/

http://www.mamutphoto.com/ULF/other.html

It is a neat project none the less. Have you seen this one ?? this was the first gigapixel project I heard about and I think he preceeded the others. An artist that built a camera just to shoot one range in colorado.

http://www.cliffordross.com/R1/R1-press-nytimes1.html

A am also interested in doing some wall size prints for a gallery down here. I did a test scan of an 8x10 the other day at 2000 dpi on a drum scanner and its super clean and about as sharp detailed and smooth at the pixel lexel as a canon dslr. Thats big enough to print 4x5 feet at 300 dpi.

What I am really interested in is panoramics. Either 4x10 or 2 stitched 8x10's. 2 stitched 8x10's would carry almost the same detail as the gigapixel and you could use E100G or VS which is super clean scanning. That would be a little less than 8 x 20 and you could scan at 2000 dpi and print at 4' x 10-12'.

Also i did a test 8x10 crop scan of 4x10 at 3000 dpi and it scanned very clean too. That would be good for a 4' x 8' print. i printed an equivilent crop and you could look at it from inches away. I have not printed at full size yet, because I dont have the perfect photo for it yet, but i will very soon. Should be interesting.

Dont get me wrong I love the idea and I wish I had time to travel like that, but i just think it doable without such exotic and heavy equpment. Of course I have never tried to stitch together a +- 14400 x 39000 file either and I am not even sure if any software out there exists that can handle it. I could make life easier and just do a 200 dpi lightjet print. that would cut the file size by 1/3.

There's a link off the Photo.net home page to the Gigapixel Project - been there a long time.

<p>

Troy, I thought there was more to the Gigapixel Project than just ULF - vacuum backed film

holder? They qualified lens resolution and ???

Troy, I thought there was more to the Gigapixel Project than just ULF - vacuum backed film holder? They qualified lens resolution and ???

Yes there is. Special to the micro millimeter camera, super parallel standards, super heavy, super heavy tripod, special film backs, Aerial lens, aerial film but even with all that, I would guess they will be limited somewhat to the film rez, just like the rest of us and I doubt its any sharper than E100G or Velvia on a per sq inch basis with a super sharp lens.

That clifford ross camera from what i have read is even more nuts, and i think he had investors help with the funds to build it. Just as heavy too. Over 100#.

Film flatness is a problem for any LF.

I had thought about that a good bit and had decided what the heck I would go for it anyway with a lighter weight 8x10 coming from 4x5. My first test shot was tack sharp with a G-claron $220 lens and a wooden film holder. When I scanned it at 2000 dpi it was super clean and had a 1-2 pixel edge which is very sharp for a film scan. Mostly 2 but 1 in some areas. So IMO on a inch by inch basis I think 8x10 E100G or velvia would capture just as much detail, but you would need a stiff camera, perfect lens, and a sticky Sinar back or vacuum back would help.