GIFs for wedding photography

Sometimes the simplest ideas tend to get lots of attention. A wedding photographer delivers GIFs to his clients, and constructs them from photo sequences:

https://www.fujirumors.com/when-images-come-to-life-using-gif-animations-created-with-fujifilm-cameras-for-wedding-photography/

Interestingly enough, the GIF goes back all the way to the late 1980s, although I'm not totally sure if the original specification allowed for animations. I think it did, but it wasn't exploited until the advent of the Web. JPEG came along in 1992.

Interesting and commercially 'catchy'. I wondered about GIFS vs video but the photographer has a good explanation on his (DE-) website. Google's EN-translation is:

"It doesn't matter whether it's a GIF video or a wedding film, both can serve to keep the memory of your wedding day alive. I don't even want to say that one is better than the other. Here are some advantages I see in each:

Traditional wedding film

- the videographer can work independently

- Smooth videos and lots of details

- different creativity as opposed to photography

Advantages of a GIF video:

- the same processing of photos and video, so the colors and tones are exactly the same

- you can save money: since you don't book an extra videographer, you don't have to pay twice, you only pay extra for the video

- extra GIFs and more photos in your gallery".

I like the fact that he's very up-front about the advantages of each. And that he has plenty of examples on his website so that potential customers know in advance what they're getting with 'extra GIFs' produced from photos.

My guess is that he (and other wedding photographers?) shoot in continuous mode anyway at key moments to be sure of getting the 'perfect' shot. It seems a very creative way of utilizing other photos in the continuous burst! And I agree that a 'slo-mo' GIF (or other formats) has a quality that is very different from a high frame-rate video.

Thanks for sharing! I tend to shoot a lot in continuous mode too. I'll see whether and how I can use the same technique.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1