Ghosting when using wireless triggers.

mccosh

<p>I have just bought a couple of Nicna CR-301 flash triggers for my pair of Nikon SB600 Speedlights. I appreciate the Nicna triggers are at the cheaper end of the scale but wanted to experiment first before jumping in with pocket wizards.</p>

<p>My problem is that one picture in 5 is having this Ghosting effect. I have two separate camera bodies with different lens on each body. This is happening with both camera's so eliminates lens and camera malfunction.</p>

<p>This only happens when using the triggers. The only thing I can think off is the camera's are both set for TTL flash metering would this cause this Ghosting. Can't see how but maybe someone on here can help me.</p>

<p>I have never had any problems when I use commander mode. </p>

<p>Any help is appreciated</p>

<p>Thanks <br>

John</p><div>00b5wH-506961584.jpg.dd65b38fc56ad48e015a8a661b54965b.jpg</div>

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It's happening with any shutter speed and any setting. Done studio shots with two studio lights to light the subject and thought I could use my two SB600 flashes to wash out the background. Camera was set on Manual 125sec F11 with the studio lights being triggered by the SB600's that were both on wireless triggers. One in every 4 / 5 shots had this ghosting. Happens on some images and not others with the camera set on exactly the same settings.</p>

<p>Thanks Jos, As far as I can tell the camera settings should not be sending any signals for a preflash. If it is a pre-flash then I wonder if the wireless flash units aren't in sync. But then why would this cause a ghosting effect at 125sec should be no camera movement. <br>

<br />Currently trying an experiment with the camera set on a tripod and taking numerous shots with the Vibration reduction on the lens turned on and off. My thoughts are this could cause the ghosting if the flash is somehow causing the lens to refocus half way through a shot. Is this even possible.</p>

<p>Will post my results soon. </p>

<p>John</p>

<p>The SB600 flash does have commander mode where the flash is set off by the light from the pop up flash on the camera. This wouldn't be infra-red and the SB600 doesn't have a built in infra-red receiver so don't think this would be the problem. But thanks please keep the suggestions coming.<br /><br />It's not the VR lens causing the problem either.</p>

<p>The shooting details are under the first photo and the camera D90 was set to Aperture priority mode but this has also happened in Manual and Shutter priority mode. I always shoot Raw files. What other information do you need Ann.</p>

<p>In this case I had two Nikon SB600 Speedlights on tripods one about 45deg in front and to the left of the lady and the other about 45deg in front and to the right of the gentleman as we look at them. Both flashes were approx 3 mtrs from there subject set on wide angle and manual mode set around 1/32 power to to supply a little fill flash.<br /><br />Hope this helps</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Happy to answer any questions, so fire away. The transmitter only has Wireless setting 4 channels, and the receivers have either Wireless or light sensor, both units are on wireless settings and all units on same channel. </p>

<p>Are you sure your not looking at the receivers they have Both L and W the transmitter is not a flash unit so is not capable of sending a light signal. If your using another flash on your camera and can't fit the transmitter on to the hot shoe in theory you can still use the receivers in light mode to activate the off camera flash units. In practice the Nicna CR-301 light mode is pretty useless. </p>

<p>Yes these are the units I am using, The unit in the front of your link is the transmitter with the unit in the rear being the receiver with both L & W settings and the hot show on top to mount the flash. The transmitter is only works in wireless mode.</p>