Getting to know how to use a folding glass plate camera circa 1900

Hello,

I have a vintage wood and brass Watson Premier camera and always thought that it would be good to be able to get a decent photograph out of it. Well being locked down due to the recent snowfall I have been pottering and have decided that the time has come.

It is a full plate camera with a Dallmeyer 2D F6 lens said to have a focal length of 9" (230 mm).

There is a nice ground glass focusing screen and a wooden double-sided plate holder.

I could do with being directed to a source where I can find 'step by step' style guidance anticipating the questions that only those of us who know almost nothing can come up with.

A work-shop would be a good option.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Chris Kilroy

Likely the biggest pitfall will be focusing. Vintage glass plate cameras presume a glass plate with the emulsion coat will be used. The position of the ground glass is pre-adjusted with an offset. Additionally the lens might not be highly color corrected and this too will require a offset to take into account the differences between visual and chemical focus.

What I am saying is, some experimentation might be required to discover an offset, especially true if you are going to use a modern sheet film that has a different thickness as compared to a glass plate.

differences between visual and chemical focus.
I saw those mentioned in the manual of my pre-WW2 Balda Rollbox. In my humble attempt to understand that issue, I assume it to be obsolete, since (photographic) film tends to be panchromatic these days. - Chemical focus might be an issue with a just UV & blue sensitive emulsion? OTOH the old camera could be adjusted to such a chemical focus and won't play too well on modern film, if it ends in the same place as the old plates. - Chemical focus should be almost as far of from visual focus than the IR marking on a lens but into the other direction.

How about putting / adapting a film sheath into your venerable plate holder? Why not make an entirely new back with ground glass to accept contemporary film holders?

How about coating your own glass plates?

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of books on "how to do" from the late 19th and early 20th c.

some of these are available in pdf files for free download from outfits like archive.org

[for example P H Emerson's books as Link, although I don't recall how far that goes into techniques]

some of these do have detailed descriptions of camera use and methods