Getting rid of Nikon film gear

jay_hector

<p>Well, I think the time for me to bail out of my Nikon film gear has come. I'm not soliciting sales here, just trying to get an idea on how best to maximize the dollar value, as my gear has all the options, and other than my Nikon F are just about in mint conditon.<br /><br />What I've got is (all bodies are black) . . .<br /><br />FTN/F36/Nikon cordless pack. I also have a Jacobson Powercon battery pack.<br />Two F2S/MD2/MB1/MF3 setups<br />Two F3HP/MD4/MF6/MK1 setups<br />FA/MD15<br />Two Kodak DCS200 setups that could be spilt and sold as 8008 bodies as I have film backs<br />Two Kodak DCS100 dig setups (useless without an F3)<br />Varous extras like screens, finders, cords, remote socket releases, DS2 and custom goodies like a meter on/off switch I made out of an MC-17 that plugs into the MK1.<br /><br />I'm thinking that I'll probably be best off breaking down the components and selling on ebay, but what about here, FM and the like? I almost tossed the Powercon in the '70s, but I've seen 'em go for 500+ on ebay over the last few years so I'm glad I didn't. I'm not going to get rid of any of the Nikon System gear that I can still use with my digiKons D1h/D70/D200/D300/D700, stuff like MT-1, MW-1 and the like.<br /><br />It's been hard to even consider selling the film gear as they will last forever, but I haven't touched any of 'em in many years and doubt that I will again.<br /><br />Like, i said, I'm not solicting sales right now, just looking for ideas. Thanks in advance for any comments.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies so far. C*list is a nightmare that only would be a total last resort. Donation of the gear at some point might be the best idea when income needs some write-offs to compensate a bit. Frankly, the options are worth more than the bodies themselves, such as the Powercon. An MF-3 back should be a 200 buck item these days, worth more than an F2 body. I forgot that I have an S2 body also.</p>

<p>It's too bad the vaporware drop-in digi sensor cartridge was a big lie, as the film bodies are still nicer than the digibodies in the view through the lens, the feel of quality and precision, and the heft for stability.</p>

<p>I sold my F4S body for next to nothing. Thats the price to pay (excuse the pun) for leaving it so late in the film-digital transition. And the nearer to the death knell of film that we get (inevitable), the worse it will get. BUT, remember one thing, and I always say this, whatever price you get, however low, a low price is better than no price. And, with whatever you get, you can use this towards the price of new gear. Low is better than no.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>C*list is a nightmare that only would be a total last resort. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Been mostly my experience too - except when selling my D70 (with 18-70 and 70-210), I got more spam than real offers. Sold the rest of my Nikon film gear last year (except for an F3/MD4 combo), all of it on the big auction site, together with all the Leica R gear I inherited about two years ago. Though I think that Andrew Fedon is correct, I still have trouble deciding whether to keep or sell some pristine Leica M and Rolleiflex SL66 gear that I also inherited. Used the Leicas a few times but not the MF gear so far; there are sentimental reasons that don't make the decision an easy one.</p>

<p>I am a photo (FILM) teacher (in a Prep school); Film camera donations have tripled in the last couple years. Donors get a tax write off, if they want it. The school provides the documentation. Film camera owners are sentimental and guilty about getting rid of their film cams. I give them emotional support and promise they can return and visit their cameras!<br>

There are plenty of students who want to learn film; their big problem is getting film cameras! During the last few years, I have been building a collection of Nikons for my students to use.<br>

So I am sure a donation to a local school would be welcome. </p>

<p>I have had good luck with C*list. I ask the prospective buyer to: identify the item of interest, a cell number and best best time to call back, cash transaction, face to face, meet in public place(every time without fail) and I give them a rough estimate how far they have to travel from well known town. I no longer travel to sell an item. My meeting place is usually 10 minutes from my home. I ask them to call me on my cell 10 minutes before they arrive so I don't sit around waiting for "no shows". I must admit, the only down fall is many relistings before the item sells but it is facilitated by opening an account. I've sold and bought a fair number of items in this fashion! Good luck!<br>

On another matter, I see film cameras selling at very low prices, mine included, it amazes me that prep. schools have difficulty finding film cameras. I'd think a student at prep. school could afford a working film camera for $50.00 or less! There are hundreds out there at those prices. My club holds two camera shows a year in Wakefield, MA. A great source but not free admission nor free equipment!</p>

<p>The time to bail out of your Nikon (or non-Nikon) film gear has come and gone. Back in 1999 when I first saw the Nikon D1 demo (back then a $5500 camera), while I laughted at its pixelization, I knew that digital would gradually take over. What I didn't know was that digital would take over so quickly. Therefore, by 2001 I quickly sold off all of the remaining film SLRs that I didn't want to keep while they still worthed something. Today, unless you have something that is a collector's item, film SLRs worth next to nothing; that is why people suggest that you should donate them.</p>

<p>A few years ago I tried to sell my D200 on Craig's List and it was nothing but headaches. One guy negotiated prices and then told me that he wasn't sure he wanted a D200. I have had much better luck with photo.net Classifieds.</p>

<p>Actually, the time to NOT bail on your film gear is now.<br>

<br /> If there is anything you're late on, it's buying a Nikon ED 5000 or 9000 series scanner. Actually you can still buy the 9000 scanner new.<br>

<br /> In 10 years, you won't be able to give away free that top of the line professional Nikon D3 digital body that I know you're dreaming of.</p>

<p>On eBay, you can check auctions that have closed in the past three months.<br>

Its a good way to get an idea of what things are selling for, just do a search for Nikon, and it will bring up everything. Nikon+(specific item) and it will limit the number of responses. When Im buying things, also check previous sales. That way I find the most likely low bid price that Ill get it for... Then, like when I bought my camera, just bid that price and never go over it. It may take me a few weeks to get it at my price, but save a lot. Have seen bidders anxious to get an item, bit higher than the RETAIL to win...</p>

<p>The thing I was wondering with this donation buisness Gene, are they donating the cameras with the lenses, which can still be used with their digital gear, or are they donating just the redundant bodies ? I have visions of you having loads of bodies without lenses. Especially the AF bodies, I certainly kept my AF Nikkor lenses from my F4 to carry on their life with my D700.</p>

<p>I'm not lusting after a D3 as I have a D700/MBD10 and a 300/MBD. I didn't lust after an F2 until I needed the stepless shutter-speed for a 500 Reflex. They are tools, and it's more like having a metric car and dumping the non-metric tools and keeping the metrics. I have two Minolta 5400 film scanners, so I don't need those Nikons either. If Kodachrome was going to continue to infinity, and I could drop it off at the ol' Hollywood lab, I would keep the bodies. One other option is just to keep 'em and use them in dangerous situations that could destroy the camera instead of sacrificing the D1H or D70. I will say interchangeable digi backs for the old film gear, like the DCS200s, are very nice, other than being old technology now. Cleaning the sensor is easier than cleaning a lens. My MF Nikkors will never go anywhere as they are completely useful.</p>

<p>I wonder if the rest of the world, in developing countries where film is still the standard (according to numerous reports), have a much higher market for the pro film bodies as their professionals might use film more than those in the USA/UK/Europe and the like.</p>

<p>I have been trying to sell/trade-off a nice Nikon F3HP/MD-4 set with a couple Tokina lenses and a couple F3 dedicated Speedlights for some time now, with NO takers. It looks like this excellent 35mm film equipment will continue to live with me, un-used for years to come...<br>

Sad...Very sad...</p>

<p>Ahh Jay, you bring back memories with the mention of 'Kodachrome". The good ol' days of 25 and 64 ASA ! Hasn't it ceased manufacture already I think ? Even in the rest of the world, as you mention, if the standard is still film, that also cannot continue because its the film manufacturers that will quit making the film on which they depend, so film will be equally unavailable in developing countries as much as the rest of the world.</p>

<p>Which brings up another quiery. Even for photography students, why continue to teach on tools that are to go the way of the Dodo, rather than adapt to the new digital methods that are the standard. I know its a difficult subject, and there is a need to teach the basics as some of us learned about photography, but consider that with film, are there still available stocks of chemicals, (developers, stop baths, fixers, etc, -remember them ? ) to sustain the traditional form of photography ?</p>

<p>Very good questions, Andrew. From an educational view, much can be learned from the craftsmanship of "obsolete" arts--such as painting, watercolor, oils, ceramics, and film.<br>

Actually, students enjoy the slow, hands-on experience of black and white photography in the wet darkroom. (Dark place! Romance! Music!). The classes always have waiting lists. I teach about 45 students each semester.<br>

I order materials from Freestyle Sales Co. In L.A. They ship to school all over the country.<br>

The biggest problem is the lack of film cameras. That’s why I buy the 90’s Nikons and am happy to get ones in donation.</p>

<p>In developing countries they are more concerned where their next soy meal is going to come from than the digital vs film choice.<br>

<br /> I just think it is foolhardy and shortsighted to so easily depart with such sound mechanical photographic specimens you have in the F2s and F3s.<br>

<br /> One day we're all going to wake up and realize that the Digital Emperor has no clothes.</p>

<p>Of course. The great mechanical Titans such as the F2---will steadily become more valuable. (Take a look on ebay for current price of the lowly Pen F.) The point-and shoot crowd has dropped out of the film scene, so maybe things will settle down for those of us loving film and Nikons.<br>

Two Signs of the Time:<br>

# 1.I just talked today to a local used camera dealer--he showed me a whole case ais lenses he has purchased in the last month. He thinks the market is there and is rising for quality film equipment. <br>

#2. UPS just now delivered two brand new Fidelity 5x7 film holders. I just purchased them from Calumet. These holders have not been available for years! </p>

<p>Right now, for example, there are F3s on fleabay between £45 (dinged) and >£800 (motor drive, mint) so, as with all collectables, condition is everything (after scarcity).<br>

How hard a decision can it be? If you'd like some money for the gear, put it on fleabay and see what it fetches: if you don't need the money, give it all away to a worthy recipient.<br>

Roy</p>