Getting more from MF

rob_piontek

<p>I just made some B&W 16 x 16 inch prints from my 6 X 6 cm negs, so about a 10X enlargement. I've never printed this big before. I don't think I would want to go much larger than this as the grain is becoming more noticeable. Generally from looking around on the web it seems that a 10x enlargement is about the limit. Certainly I notice a difference comparing the 16x16 inch prints to my 10 x 10 inch prints I'm normally making, which look great.</p>

<p>At this point I don't want to print any larger, but I would be happy to improve the quality of my negs for 16x16 prints. Mostly I'm shooting TMAX 100, Acros 100, or Kodak PX 125. Negs are developed with D-76 dilluted 1:3. I am not very religious when it comes to deloping, I check the temps which are usually 22-25C and adjust times as needed per the massive developing chart. Anything I could do to see noticeable improvement - or am I simply hitting the limit of MF?</p>

<p>Try your D-76 undiluted (the way it was designed to be used) and you should see a noticeable decrease in grain size. IME T-Max 100 can be developed to give an almost invisibly fine grain using almost any developer except Rodinal. You might have to drop the rated speed to about 80 ISO to get the best grain size though.</p>

<p>Incidentally, 25 Celsius is really too high a temperature for developing B&W. It opens up the gelatine structure too much, which encourages excessive grain growth.</p>

<p>D76 diluted 1 plus 3 gives maximum economy, higher acutance (appearance of sharpness), some compensating effect (higher shadow density relative to highlights) but definitely the most graininess of any dilution. As someone else said, D76 undiluted gives the finest grain (because it has the strongest solvent action - you might feel sharpness suffers) - many people feel 1 plus 1 is the best compromise. T-Max developer is the natural choice for T-Max films, but don't use it unless your developing times and temperatures are accurate - it's very unforgiving. Overexposure will of course also make grain look worse. Just by the way - I had a picture in an exhibition recently alongside some shots by David Bailey from the 60s taken I presume on a Hasselblad and (I would think) Ilford FP3 - they were 6 feet square and grain was almost invisible!</p>

<p>For the finest possible grain, it's TMX developed in XTOL. I like using it 1+1, and don't see any grain up to 10x enlargement when the print is viewed at a normal distance. You might see some if you're really sticking your nose into the print - maybe. You will get full box speed with this combo, and while the negatives may look a little flat, they print beautifully. </p>

<p>Frank's answer is the one I would give. Acros, TMax or PanF in Xtol, 1:1. I get really great sharpness with that combination. You might also want to play around with Diafine and Pyro. I regularly print 30x30" prints from my Hasselblad shots. Make sure you work on focus and bolting the camera down on a good tripod. This will help your hit rate considerably.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Tmax is a great film. So is Pan F. I am not a fan of Acros. <br>

If I want really really fine grain and a really sharp image, I will opt for Pan F 50 and develop in Perceptol. <br>

Tmax in Microdol X, or Tmax developer would be my second choice. I would not even consider d76 compared with these combinations.</p>

<div>00Xetp-300643584.jpg.8e4c72b2d1c8303c02d64bbe1e60c2e8.jpg</div>