embedded JPEG file waiting to be unleashed? If so, how can I extract

this JPEG file?

I figure, I can keep shooting in RAW. Extract all the JPEG images

from the RAW file. If I need to adjust an image because of bad

exposure or bad white balance, I can go back to the RAW file and

create an image from the RAW data.

I've done many searches on "Extract JPEG from RAW," "RAW

JPEG," "RAW+JPEG," "Imbedded JPEG" and found only information

explaining the difference between JPEG and RAW and when to use each.

Am I missing something here?

There is no JPG file "in" the RAW file. The RAW file is exactly what it says, the output information directly from the sensor. It doesn't go through any internal processing; just goes right to your memory card. You process a RAW file to produce an image in some viewable or printable format. It does not have to be JPG; it can be TIFF, PNG, GIF, whatever you want to save it as. But there is no "hidden" JPG file within the RAW data.

RAW+JPG means that the camera produces (quickly) a JPG file from the RAW data. This allows you to send previews of images to other people or save them for quick reference. It's using pre-set values in the cameras internal processor to develop a JPG file. Think of it more like a thumbnail of your RAW file.

You use whichever format you want. RAW is very powerful and it takes rather a lot to fully realize its potential.

(I should note that the above is as I understand it; if I'm wrong on any of this, I apologize.)

Ok, I am wrong, on the practical end. There is a JPG image saved within the RAW data; see page 47 of your 10D's manual. For some reason I thought it was a seperate file. My mistake.

The camera creates a JPG from the RAW data but saves it within the RAW file.

Sorry for the mistake.

Ummm. . .actually there is a small JPEG embedded in the RAW file. The idea is that you can *quickly* extract the JPEG without doing a full blown "as shot" processing on your computer.

The advantage is speed. When you extract these JPEG's, the images are not even rotated properly.

I have once used this feature. While on a layover in Chicago, I extracted all the JPEGs from a vacation, and we were able to view the vacation photos on the plane ride home.

I would shoot "raw+small jpeg". It is fairly quick to produce any size JPEG you want using "As shot" settings when you are home.

Jim,

The point I was trying to make in the first paragraph is that RAW data, by itself, is just that, RAW data. I was mistaken about the final output of RAW+JPG which was very silly of me.

Again, I apologize for the mistake.

Some cameras, like my (hacked) 300D (and the 10D I suppose), embed the JPEG in the RAW file, others save it as a seperate file (the 20D I think and all the high-end bodies).

Personally I often use IrfanView to preview my files, it shows the JPEG that's embedded in the RAW and when you do a Save, it extracts the JPEG and saves it seperately. You press SHIFT-E and it launches Photoshop (or any other program you want) with the RAW file and you can convert that. Quite convenient.

One other solution I use is an action/droplet I wrote for my 10D, I shoot RAW+small JPEG,

since it gives an extra 20 shots on a 512MB compared to RAW+Large JPEG. You just drag

your RAW files on the droplet, and it makes a JPEG (12 quality) and saves it in the same

folder as the RAW. You can download it and try it here: http://homepage.mac.com/

summergirl007/Carnagex2000/FileSharing32.html

having raw , beside from the ability to have post-editing capabilities, its much superior than jpeg .. imagaine the micro-processor that is embedded within the camera converting the pictures to jpeg and saving it on the compact flash / memory card .. how well can this technical computation process be done at that short time frame ?.

. the resulted jpeg pictures that we normally taken are losing their original data size , being compressed to 8 bits RGB and we all know .. small byte size = more managable and responsive for system processing ..

however with the avability of raw, unprocessed data .. you can use a powerful processor system (PC's or Mac), it generated other graphical format eg tiff .. it can be done on the CMYK channels 12 - 16 bits, also increasing resolutions at a smaller pixel size .. By having that format , sending the data file with good resolutions and the correct channels will results in better printings..

thus, the formula for any better picture quality is having the largest highest uncompressed data .. and crop/resize/compress/print it when necessary to achieve the best results

The RAW+jpeg , the part about jpeg is just a supplement for easy viewing.. The cream of the crop is still the raw.