Can anyone recommend a <i>good</i> way to get closer focusing with the

70-200? I'm looking for no more than about 1/4th life-size, but closer

than what it currently limits me to. <p>

Why the 500D rather than Extension tubes, or vice-versa? How about

Nikon's 5T?<p>

Since the usual 'just slap a close-up lens on it' is so expensive (500D

is $125+), I'd like to see what alternatives exist and what their

trade-offs are.<p>

Typical use would be stopped down to at least f/8-f/11, using strobes.

Hi Kevin, you might want to look at Canon's 500D close-up lens that screws into the 77mm threads on your 70-200 f2.8. While I've not used it personally, I was reading an article in an outdoor photography magazine that reviewed it and the accompanying photos were excellent. There are 2 types and for best results, I think you'd want the 500D. Here's what Canon says: "These close-up attachments can be used with most EF lense to provide a shorter minimum focusing distance with no loss of light. The 250D/500D series incorporates double-element achromatic design for maximum optical performance while the 500 series features single-element construction for maximum economy. The 250D is optimized for lenses between 50-135mm, while the 500D works best with telephoto lense from 70-300mm. Manual focusing is recommended." Best wishes . . .

I'll admit it's been a while since I tried tubes on mine. I have the 500D and can heartily endorse it. Guess it would depend on what you're shooting. If you don't need super magnification, it is SO convenient. Slap a 550 on top and the combo is a great walk around setup for getting fairly close. My issue with the tubes would be the fact that the 500D allows you to use the zoom for close up cropping w/o a lot of manipulation in focus (so it's a quicker rig than the tube). Long as you pay attention to DOF, you won't be unhappy with the quality (dislcaimer about getting what you pay for) considering the price.