German Mystery Camera

I found this camera in a junk bin. It has no corporate logo on the body aside from an “Fw” on the chrome door stand on the inside of the trap door. I’m guessing it was manufactured post WWII since there doesn’t seem to be a lot of production between June 1942 and Sept 1948 according to Schneider’s listings. This seems like a consumer level camera as most of the production during WWII would have gone into military use. It has an “Agfa Billy Record” look, its focus markings are in feet (min 3.5), not meters, so it probably was meant for the export market. There is a corporate looking logo on the right side of the shutter cover that looks like it has an “A/G/C” around the representation of a three blade shutter. Aside from that there is the corporate name of “Gauthier G. m. b. H. Calmbach” on the shutter cover. There is no country of origin or serial number on the body, just the markings on the shutter and lens.

It shoots OK with the exception of some lens flare in bright sun probably due to the uncoated optics but I have a push on adapter for a Series VI lens hood for it.

Does anybody have any more ideas of where this camera may fit in the annuals of camera history?

Here's my record of it:

Camera: German Gauthier Calmbach Prontor II

Vintage: Schneider lens number 1940869 June 1942 – Sept 1948

Body Material: cast metal with material bellows

Film: 120 roll, 6x6 format (12 shots per roll)

Film Transport: manual wind

Film Advance Direction: left to right

Lens: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar f:2.9 F= 7.5cm (triplet, uncoated)

Filter Size / Attachment: push on adapter approx 1 5/16 inch

Shutter: Prontor II: T B 1 to 1/175

Self Timer: yes, mechanical

Double Exposure: yes, unlinked shutter to advance

Focus: manual – markings in ft: 3.5 to inf

View Finder: eyelevel

Flash: no flash connection

Tripod Hole: yes

Cable Release Attachment: yes

Accessories: leather handle

Condition: working, shooting, degreased shutter and replaced body material

DSC_0846.thumb.JPG.19fdda7db923ba835c078f339eb4cb67.JPG

DSC_0847.thumb.JPG.ad1e2fe91331118b2e00758c144c0496.JPG

FW usually means Franka Werke. I think your camera is a Franka but I've no idea about the specific model.

Thanks John! Another piece of the puzzle fits. I googled Franka Werke and their logo is the badge I see on the trap door chrome. Considering they had a history of producing cameras for Montgomery Wards that's probably what this camera is, a discount store no name produced by Fw.

Thanks John! Another piece of the puzzle fits. I googled Franka Werke and their logo is the badge I see on the trap door chrome. Considering they had a history of producing cameras for Montgomery Wards that's probably what this camera is, a discount store no name produced by Fw.

No pics of it?

I don't know why the pics aren't showing in my original post. They are probably too big of a file so here's the compressed jpegs... Thanks!DSC_0846.jpg.8bf88349d44ffc7224e3f1c24a98beb3.jpg DSC_0847.jpg.8243b9de4438d0e84a801fbc7d38985b.jpg

Here is the Franka logo from a Franka Solida case, for comparison

[ATTACH=full]1206441[/ATTACH]

Yep, That's the logo...I had already confirmed that after John pointed me to Franka Werke...I still can't find what model it is. It is definitely a square format 6X6 circa late 1940's for the lens, the body could be later...the body is very Solinda-ish except for the viewfinder and no accessory shoe (no cold shoe, no flash capability).

It could be a Franka Solida (1949) or a store variant. I found this listing in McKeown's 2001-2002. The picture shows a Solida logo on the body. It may have been recovered or be a store variant with no logo.

[ATTACH=full]1206527[/ATTACH]

Thanks Marc! That's my camera alright...I probably have a department store variant with no model name for the U.S. market...mystery solved!