Gepe cable release bad after maybe 15 shots

nathancraver

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue. I have a brand new Gepe cable release, about 20" long that has become pretty much

useless after about 15 shots at the most. It is a cloth covered cable release and I bought it because I have heard great things about

Gepe and it is much more flexible than my other cable releases which are wrapped in plastic. I have used it mostly with my Copal

shutters and a few times with my Pentax 67II.

Today, I took my Pentax out for a spin, set up on the tripod, hooked up the Gepe, and it would not trigger the shutter. I was upset at first

because I thought it might be the camera, so I removed the cable release, camera worked just fine. I looked at the release and noticed

that it no longer has full travel. The release, when pushed, only moves about 1/8" at the most. It used to move about 1/2" to maybe 3/4".

I have been careful with this release, I know I haven't forced anything while using it, there are no kinks in it, and this particular release has

no sort of depth adjustment (that I can find). I can pull the release trigger in the opposite direction, and it moves about the same distance

it should normally move, but when I let go, it just springs back in.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this thing working again, or is this thing just a piece of garbage?

<p>It may have a locking mechanism. Do you see a knurled chrome ring surrounding the part of the release you push with your finger? <br>

Like this: <a href="http://mpex.com/gepe-pro-cable-release-with-zeiss-disk-lock-20-quot.html">http://mpex.com/gepe-pro-cable-release-with-zeiss-disk-lock-20-quot.html</a><br>

If so, screw it back in.</p>

<p>I have two of them, one with a chrome head, and they are working fine in the last 40 years. Sometime even a Rolls-Royce can break down. Actually, I have 5 mechanical cable release, stuck one in a small pocket of every camera bag I have. So is the electrical cable release, 3 of them. Just incase.</p>

<p>I've decided to have one cable release on every lens plus one in a pouch with filters, loupe and other accessories. I have had multiple failures, misplacements, etc. One failure was with a cloth covered release that got wet. It seemed the cloth stretched beyond the travel distance of the release.</p>

<p>I just came across this thread as I am currently looking for a good quality cable release. As Ferdi Stutterheim suggests, I don't think these releases are actually made by Gepe, just branded so; I cannot find any mention of cable releases on the official Gepe website, and I only see them available in North America.</p>

<p>FYI, the B&H website says this:<br>

Cloth covered cable releases are the most flexible and are designed for average use.<br>

Plastic coated cable releases have more strength, are waterproof, and are available in various colors.<br>

Woven metal sheath releases are very durable, yet are still very flexible.<br>

Spiral steel releases are stronger, but less flexible; their plastic coverings make them waterproof.</p>

<p>Since I wrote it here is the entire info:<br>

<strong>CABLE RELEASE COVERINGS</strong></p>

<p> Cloth releases are the most flexible and are fine for average use.<br>

Plastic coated cable releases have more strength and are waterproof.<br>

Spiral steel releases are stronger, but less flexible and with their plastic covering are waterproof.<br>

Woven metal sheath releases have the greatest strength and are <br>

very flexible. Plastic covered ones are also waterproof but less flexible.</p>

<p><strong> CABLE RELEASE LOCKS</strong></p>

<p> Locks are available in 2 different types.The T-Lock and the auto disk lock. <br>

The disk lock is released by a simple push.</p>

<p><strong> CABLE RELEASE TIPS</strong></p>

<p> Rotating and non-rotating tips are available. With rotating tips the cable release is not twisted to <br>

attach or remove it.</p>

<p><strong> CABLE RELEASE GRIPS</strong></p>

<p> Cable releases can have T-grips, enlarged grips or no grip. For best handling use a release with a T-grip <br>

or an enlarged grip.</p>

<p><strong> CABLE RELEASE LENGTHS</strong></p>

<p> To eliminate vibrations there should be some slack between the ends of the release. For this purpose we <br>

offer releases up to 40”.</p>

<p><strong> CABLE RELEASE TIP THROW</strong></p>

<p> Our releases are the long throw type to work with professional shutters. The Profi Release has an <br>

adjustable throw.</p>