George Lauterstein has passed away

Oh, this is really bad news! George and I had some pics on Jun Nakajimas website a few years ago and we exchanged mail and greetings cards for a while. I eventually lost contact. Only from time to time I came back to his website to admire his wonderfully crafted pictures.

From what I know (although we nver met in person) he was a very kind person and I learned a lot from him. A real loss. I can't believe it.

Steve, where did you get this information? George and I were together last month when he came to California. I am posting what may be the last photo taken of him at little Pebble Beach in California. We were planning to meet in Arizona last year when he had the by-pass surgery and he had a defib unit implanted in his chest. We got together a few weeks ago, he was thin, had a bad cough, but seemed to be making progress, and we planned to meet in May along with another Leica man from Australia, Alastair Ferkin, to play around the canyons. I am very distressed and sad. I'm trying to contact Cheryl, his wife. He was one of the kindest and most generous men I have ever known.<div>004vfu-12321184.JPG.4b5439fb78c61aaba696f19205ea0bcf.JPG</div>

George, you will be missed, and I already miss you. Who on earth will take your place? No one. Who will give me their photograph if I would just ask? No one. But if a million of us could be just like the person you are, even in a minute way, I think it would please you more than a million other thank you's. And my work will always have the thought of you behind it.

Marlon Beltran

Garden Grove, CA

17 April 2003

• 6 years later...
  • 10 years later...

It is 2020 and I still remember George very well. He was such a gentle and kind soul; we used to exchange B&W photos online and he also sent me prints. At one point George was unloading some M film cameras and he sold me a beautiful Leica M2 (silver) which I still own and treasure today (the last 4 S/N digits are my phone number).

Eric

• Like 2

• 4 months later...