George Lauterstein has passed away

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by steve_hoffman, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I guess George died of a heart attack yesterday.

He was a nice guy and great photographer. He will be missed.

www.georgelauterstein.com

2. Oh, this is really bad news! George and I had some pics on Jun Nakajimas website a few years ago and we exchanged mail and greetings cards for a while. I eventually lost contact. Only from time to time I came back to his website to admire his wonderfully crafted pictures.
    From what I know (although we nver met in person) he was a very kind person and I learned a lot from him. A real loss. I can't believe it.

3. Awesome photos.

4. I had a look at the website. He left some very nice images behind.

5. This is the first I knew and we had a trip to Arizona planned in May. I only met him twice and e-mailed thousands of time, and he was one of my best friends. He had a quad by-pass but seemed to be doing ok. I'll have to contact his wife.

6. Steve, where did you get this information? George and I were together last month when he came to California. I am posting what may be the last photo taken of him at little Pebble Beach in California. We were planning to meet in Arizona last year when he had the by-pass surgery and he had a defib unit implanted in his chest. We got together a few weeks ago, he was thin, had a bad cough, but seemed to be making progress, and we planned to meet in May along with another Leica man from Australia, Alastair Ferkin, to play around the canyons. I am very distressed and sad. I'm trying to contact Cheryl, his wife. He was one of the kindest and most generous men I have ever known.
    004vfu-12321184.JPG

7. I'm very sorry to hear this. George was a true gentleman who could make amazing photos of very ordinary objects found in nature. He would send you any of his prints for free on request.

A real loss.

Regards,

Greg Lorenzo

8. Todd,

Alastair Firkin informed us of George's passing in an email. Cheryl told him. :^(

9. George, you will be missed, and I already miss you. Who on earth will take your place? No one. Who will give me their photograph if I would just ask? No one. But if a million of us could be just like the person you are, even in a minute way, I think it would please you more than a million other thank you's. And my work will always have the thought of you behind it.

Marlon Beltran

Garden Grove, CA

17 April 2003

10. It is 2009 and I am still missing you my friend....
    Wally

11. It is 2020 and I still remember George very well. He was such a gentle and kind soul; we used to exchange B&W photos online and he also sent me prints. At one point George was unloading some M film cameras and he sold me a beautiful Leica M2 (silver) which I still own and treasure today (the last 4 S/N digits are my phone number).
    Eric

danstates and John Farrell like this.
  12. He was a special person, as evidenced by the fact that you, me and so many others still think of his generosity, kindness and talent.

Thanks for refreshing this thread.