I'm looking out for a 2nd-hand zoom for my FM2..something like 70mm-

210mm. (Mostly on Ebay UK). But due to my budget at present, i am

reluctant to fork out big bucks for a Nikon lens when i suspect there

are some very good generic lenses available more cheaply. Trouble is,

how to know the bargains from the rubbish....i still want as much

sharpness + contrast as possible. Speed as well, but i can compromise

on that.

One lens that is available to me at the moment is Vivitar 28 - 200mm

macro focusing zoom. Anyone know anything about this one??

I've also seen a couple of Tokinas and I passed on a very cheap

Sirius 60mm-300mm because that was one of the first I came across at

the start of my search and I didn't want to jump in too quickly.

Any comments welcome, especially advice about brands that are

reliable and those which would be false economy. Thanks!

In you case (FM2 body), just make sure that you don't accidentally get a G (or G-equivalent) lens that has no aperture ring. Anything that is more than 3 or so years old should be safe in that sense.

Otherwise, could you tell us about your budget and what your photo subjects are? Unfortunately, most of us are more familiar with used prices in the US rather than in the UK, but I am sure some can help you.

The Vivitar Series 1 lenses were very well made. That would be

a good choice.

Also, consider the Nikon 70-210mm E-Series lens. I had one

until recently (had to sell all my manual gear for digital foray). It

is a nice lens, has macro capability and is affordable. In fact, a

lot of the E-Series lenses are affordable, and pretty good

performers. Other top lenses in that line include the 50mm E,

100mm E, and the 75-150mm E (Vivek's favorite).

I would avoid any lens with a zoom ratio of more than 3-1. Any wider range zoom will either be costly to make, or crap. 70-210 or 80-200 range zooms from name brands (Vivitar, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron) should be fine, if the lens is in good shape and not too costly.

Look for the brand's premium line: Vivitar's is Series-One, Tamron's is SP, Tokina's is ATX. I don't think Sigma had a specific top series, but I could be wrong.

The 75-150/3.5 is nice indeed. Dealer prices in the UK seem to be around 60-70GBP, so don't overbid on the bay. Exceptionally fast for an inexpensive zoom.<P>

Some reviews <a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html">here</a> by Bjørn Rørslett, who knows his onions.

<P>He gives a good write-up to the 80-200/4 and 80-200/4.5. I've never used these, but I remember they were in a similar price range, perhaps slightly dearer, when I was looking for the 75-150.

There is really no reason to buy a third party lens, especially if you do not need AF.

As mentioned above, the used market has wonderful Nikon products at bargain prices. The 70-210/4.0 series E is a nice lens, but if you can do with the shorter reach of the 75-150/3.5 series lens, you will get a much smaller lens that can can really produce fabulous results.

If you want a little extra security, just buy used from KEH. You'll pay a little more, but get conservative rating and a 2 week money back guarantee trial.

The 75-150/3.5 is a push-pull, so you might want to talk to the KEH people, to avoid getting one with significant zoom creep. Other than that, this would be a great choice for you.