Generic rear caps for M mount

<p>Just wondering if anyone has tried the M mount rear caps from Fotodiox. I have some generic caps from a Hong Kong source but they are useless. They are too loose on a CV 35mm f2.5 PII and won't stay on LTM lenses with a M adapter at all. For what Leica wants for a plastic cap I could buy Chinese made micro 4:3 to M adapters and epoxy a back cover on it. I'm just a cheap guy I guess.</p>

<p>I can't speak specifically to Fotodiox...I've used some of their products which were ok. Most, if not all generic caps come from Asia, no matter who imports them. Some fit better than others...I've found that it is pretty much a crapshoot...I have some which are snug, others which just turn and keep on turning. I usually get a bag of 5-10 at a time and keep the good ones toss the others.</p>

<p>Of course I know that any such generic caps would be produced in asia but hope that US distributors would at least vet the product before selling it. The OpTech caps with a rubber 'O' ring looked good even at $9 each but are not deep enough for my 35mm and 21mm lenses.</p>

<p>Cheap material, bad moulds.... There's no doubt that they <em>are</em> M rear caps -- but equally there's no certainty that they will function correctly on an M lens. Common for such things to be bought, only to be thrown away when their imperfections are seen.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>i've fixed a couple of these too-loose rear caps by putting a tiny dot of plastic model cement (glue) on the friction surface of the flanges inside the cap. Other glues may work as well. The idea is to thicken the flange a little, so it rubs more firmly on the lens.<br>

Put it on, let it dry overnight, try it. If still too loose, build it up a little more.<br>

Shouldn't have to say this, but DO NOT mount the cap on the lens while the glue is wet. </p>