Generic EN-EL3e batteries.

gogu

<p>Hi all!</p>

<p >I bought my new D90 (my first DSLR!), I researched (and decided) what zoom lens should I buy (70-300 VR), what flash (SB-600) and started figuring how to save to buy all that stuff.</p>

<p >And then…then it came poster Pete Harlan and destroyed my plans by “forcing” me to include in my wish list that ^%&*$# Zeikos grip;-)</p>

<p >OK I said, that’s only a few more bucks, I’m gonna buy it. Then I realized I also have to buy 2 more En-El3e batteries in order to operate it. So while searching on e bay I saw that there are up for sale many third party, generic such batteries. Most of them 2000 mAh.</p>

<p >My two questions are: can these third party generic batteries be trusted?</p>

<p >Is there any (positive) difference between these 2000 mAh batteries and the 1500 mAh original ones?</p>

<p >Thank you all,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >gogu</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I wouldn't buy them. You don't know what you're getting, and the "good" generics are only a few dollars cheaper than the branded Nikon batteries. I carry one extra battery with me and haven't ever needed more than that (with a D300).</p>

<p>When it comes to batteries, I'd only trust the Nikons. I've read about many problems including the 3rd party batteries exploding when charging. Also, the in camera battery charge and life indicators may give you problems with an aftermarket battery and I've "read" that Nikon might not warranty the camera if a 3rd party battery is used (but that would be hard for them to prove of course.)</p>

<p>Why do you need two more? The grip only holds 2 and the slot camera is filled by the grip. You should have received one with the camera.</p>

<p>Just my opinion.</p>

<p>i wouldn't trust the generics. i came to acquire one, and in less than a year's time, it won't hold a charge. besides, it doesn't have the nikon circuitry to let you know when it's running out of charge -- so one minute it'll show full charge, and the next it'll be stone, cold dead.<br>

incidentally, why do you need 2 en-el3e batteries for the grip? is this a new design? the nikon version uses either one en-el3e or 8 AAs. besides, you can use the grip or the camera (not both) without a battery if you so choose. but that's the nikon mb-d10, not the zeikos.</p>

<p>You are right Jay but I want a set of 2 to use with the grip and keep my original battery just for in-camera use.<br />As for your concerns about 3rd party batteries, yes, I've also heard about some problems with them and that's exactly why I’m asking for opinions:-) I wonder for instance, if I "trust" Zeikos and buy their grip, why should I distrust their batteries?...<br />Questions, questions...</p>

<p>------------- <br />Thanks William for sharing your experience! That’s the kind of problems I want to avoid!<br>

<br />PS<br /> I thought that the grip takes 6 AAs not 8! Am I wrong?</p>

<p>The genuine nikon is 38.00 on amazon. Why are we even having this discussion.<br>

The original Nikon battery that came with my D100 en-el3 is still going strong after 7 years.<br>

Why would I even consider an other battery. This is not a high priced item.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have used generics successfully with my D70s and with a panasonic L1 but the later batteries for Nikon cameras seem more complex- containing circuitry that conveys info to the camera. I have the D200 and it provides quite extenssive info on battery charging state, overall condition etc. I am not sure I would risk it at least without knowing more.</p>

<p>I have tried several different after market brands of the EN-EL3 and have been very dissatisfied with all of them. It is a shame too, because Nikon's pricing on batteries is absurd. Borderline price gouging.</p>

<p>One option is to buy a grip like the Jenis J-ND70S-P-B which allows you to use rchargeable AA batteries.<br>

<h1 ><br /></h1>

</p>

<p>Joseph,<br>

it may be "$38.00" for you in the US but here in Europe it's "69 euros or about $100.00" each at my local Adorama store (<a href="http://www.adorama.gr/e-shop/Products.php?CatID=16&SubCatID=255">http://www.adorama.gr/e-shop/Products.php?CatID=16&SubCatID=255</a>)! Two of them...US$200.00.<br>

You still find it's ... "not a high priced item"?!</p>

<p>I find it fascinating that people who spend $1000+ on a camera, and another few hundred on a lens (sometimes more than that), scoff at the idea of spending $10-15 more to buy the geniuine Nikon battery vs. a generic. Simply bizarre really. Like buying a $40,000 car and telling the salesperson to take the dealer installed carpets out that they are charging $199 for.<br>

I think the link Shun posted tells the story. It's a risk of fire with those cheap batteries. A risk I'm not willing to take.</p>

<p>Dave,<br>

in this case the difference between genuine and generic is about $160.00 ($200.00 vs $40.00) as I said elsewhere, that's about 10-12% of my camera/lens combo and if for you this is not a big deal, for some people it is.<br>

Yep, to paraphrase someone "I find it fascinating people talking without reading all postings before answering" ;-)...</p>

<p>I've been using two "generic" En-el3e batteries in my D700 for over six months now without any problem at all. I rotate the generics with the genuine Nikon article and haven't noticed any difference in performance or battery life.</p>

<p>Since most of the Lithium-ion cells used in the world originate in China, I really can't see any reason to pay a premium for a "branded" battery at a ripoff price. Buy from an established online battery store and you won't go far wrong. I paid about 1/3rd of the cheapest advertised Nikon price for my generics, so even if they only lasted half as long, I'd still be in pocket.</p>

<p>The only thing I would say is that you can take the stated higher capacity rating of the generics with a pinch of salt. Milliampere-hour inflation seems rife with off-brand battery suppliers. That's not to say their performance is any worse than OEM batteries, but it's not noticeably better either.</p>

<p>The only brand of battery that's given me trouble at all is Hahnel. I bought an NP-80 for a digital compact which lasted about 2 months, the shop replaced it and the replacement also gave up after a very short time. Hahnel NiMH cells have also given me poor performance. Steer clear of these German robbers!</p>

<p>As a postscript, buying OEM batteries is no guarantee of safety. There was a famous spate of Nokia mobile phone batteries overheating and exploding a couple of years back. I also have a dead Nikon EN-El3e as proof that the genuine Nikon article doesn't last forever either. Still, the hologram sticker is pretty isn't it? Well worth the premium price.</p>

<p>US$200.00 too much to pay for real Nikon EN-EL3e batteries? How much does it cost to replace that D90 when the generic batteries destroy the camera? I have a D700. No way am I going to put generic batteries in the camera or even in the same backpack with the camera. I have too many $$$$ in lens and camera gear in that backpack to have it flame out.</p>

<p>Unless I am mistaken ..... and heaven knows I sure have been many times, isn't the Nikon Batteries actually a 2rd party battery anyway. I don't think that Nikon makes batteries. They most likely get them from a source and that source might change midstream the same as other companies do. SO what might be an aftermarket battery, one day, may be an original the next? Flip a coin and you might just get an original for less!!<br>

yes/no??<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>We have had a lot of threads on "generic" EN-EL3e batteries. Essentially there are a lot of different experience with them, and IMO it is wrong to lump all of them into just one category.</p>

<p>The thing is that at least in the US, genuine EN-EL3e batteries are within $40. You can't possibly save a whole lot of money buying 3rd party. If it is indeed a lot more expensive in Europe, I would just order them from the US or Asia.</p>

<p>The problem with batteries is that it can be a hazard. The case where some 3rd-party batteries exploded is merely a reminder about it. Recall that a few years ago Nikon recalled some EN-EL3 because of over-heating concerns. I have reasons to believe that Nikon batteries have better quality control, and in case it does explode, Nikon will be responsible for any damage. Good luck getting compensation from some unknown company.</p>

<p>Another issue is that these batteries have electronics inside. In future cameras, Nikon can make some small changes and potentially 3rd-party batteries can become incompatible. A few years ago my wife bought a generic battery for her Sony camcorder because the Sony version was out of stock. The generic battery worked fine until she bought a new camcorder. The new camcorder would detect the generic battery as non Sony, displays an error message on the LCD to remind you to use a genuine Sony battery and then immediately shuts itself off.</p>

<p>Shun's last two sentences in his third paragraph above are all really anyone needs to think about on this.</p>

<p>It doesn't matter whether the batteries are any better, but if a Nikon battery, charged in my Nikon charger ever damaged my Nikon camera and Nikon didn't take care of me...do you <i>really</i> think they want to find out just how aggrieved I'd feel? I don't think so. I long ago went into 5 digits in the worth of my Nikon equipment. I do not care about saving $5 or $10 on the small explosive I place in the body I carry around.</p>

<p>Since this topic comes up a lot, here is the error message on my wife's newer Sony camcorder when we put the generic battery on. Sony calls its battery technology "Info Lithium." We bought the 3rd-party battery for about $70 instead of $80 for the Sony one, but at the time we got it because the Sony one wasn't available and we thought it "didn't make any difference." It worked fine on the camcorders from the same time, but the newer ones can detect it and would shut down. Now we have a battery that is useless on the current camcorders my wife uses.</p>

<p>And this is an old thread where some Duracell AAs leaked inside Ellis' F5 body. Again, since the batteries are from a name brand, Duracell was responsible for the repair of his F5: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/005G30">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/005G30</a></p><div>00TkCK-147589584.jpg.8967db866dff79257ac308829a8e3703.jpg</div>