1. Select the skin color with Color range

2. Duplicate the Selection CTRL+J

3. CTRL+Click on the layer to select it

4. Apply >Filter>Noise>Median

5. Apply Gaussian Blur

6. Lower the opacity of the "airbrushed" layer to taste... between 15-25%

HTH

Juun

Are you looking for something like this? Also we need to know how much you know about photoshop. Most assume that you know where all the tools are. If you don't, do a web search and learn some basics. That is how I started years ago with 5.0 This will help. There are a lot of good step by step tutorials out there. Like this

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=191

Terry<div>00HWxp-31534084.jpg.51db4d34425d8b215ecb4439a56ff322.jpg</div>

Thanks to Denis and Terry for kindly offerring your suggestions. Terry, the link may just be what I need. I've used Photoshop mainly for color corrections and dodging/burning since my work doesn't require much more. I'm doing this headshot as a favor for a friend and am finding that I have to do a bit more manipulation. Working with layers and mask is unfamiliar terrain for me.

Terry,

Don't know if you're still following the thread, thanks for your help. What I ended up doing was Gaussian blur, and then, using the Eraser tool, painted in sharpness into the eyes, etc. Here are before, after and black and white.

Juun<div>00HXVB-31548684.jpg.2759356e0600b001d88c41f85f9d6e7f.jpg</div>

Juun

Glad to help. Yeah on the first one I duplicated the background layer. Gaussian blured the top layer with a 2 pixel radius. Set the top layer to screen mode at 50%. The second one I just went over the top. Not to my taste. But wasn't sure what you were after.

Terry