GAS strikes again

rogerwb

<p>I had no intention of acquiring another camera when wifey and I went browsing through one of our favorite antique/flea market establishments. I came across a box of stuff that looked like it was a cleanout of a very old and long unused darkroom. Old chemicals in rusty cans and faded packaging, an Ansco tank, the usual junk. <br>

Perched above all this, was another of the multitude of Japanese leaf shutter rangefinders, that appeared to be in fantastic shape. I certainly didn't need another of those. My Konica S2 and a Yashica 5000e serve my needs there, but this one was one of those "wide" variants. Only 35mm variety wide, but I rationalized that it had the possibility of being a handy street shooter. Scale focus only but who needs precise focusing for shooting on the street with a 35mm lens ? The scale is in feet. The body was immaculate. One little pit on the bottom cover was/is the only thing approaching a defect. Full range of shutter speeds from 1 to 1/300th second, all working nicely, instead of the usual 1/25, 1/50,/1/100, 1/300 limited settings. It is the quietest leaf shutter I have ever heard. The final clincher was the bright line finder in which I can view the entire frame with my glasses on. How rare is that ? I can't even see the entire frame with my Leitz highly collectible, ridiculously expensive ISBLOO. <br>

The seller was having a 30% off sale that day so that was it.<br>

If needed, I do have a Prazisa rangefinder that slips into the accessory shoe. If the matching one shows up on the 'bay at a reasonable price, I'll likely get it. As shown in the picture, I already have a Walz meter that works.<br>

Now for some sunshine and a little warmth so I can do some shooting and post results. Thanks for looking.</p>

<p>Just love those little Japanese P&S cameras of that era...I have a few Walz cameras and their quality is a cut above many of their contemporaries. They're probably better known for their meters. As you pointed out, a rangefinder is hardly necessary for this little camera. Great find; I'm looking forward to the pics.</p>

<p>There was a small photo shop in my neighborhood that carried Walz products in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I purchased a Walz Norwood Super Director incident light meter there around 1958 or 1959. This meter was built to a very high standard and it has served me well for over 50 years. It still works perfectly.</p>

<p>Cool! Some of those 50s-era "wide" models are really fun to shoot with, if you're the type who appreciates the simplicity. I've gotten some of my all-time favorite shots with the Walz Wide. That's a very sharp lens.</p>

<p>Among the other "wide" models I've used are the Minolta, the Olympus Wide E, and the Welmy. Did any of the 50s-era "wide" cameras have rangefinders??</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Did any of the 50s-era "wide" cameras have rangefinders?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Little or no need. Even when street shooting with my M3, I just align the infinity mark with f16 and fire at will.<br>

It's a sunny 50 degree F day in Maine and I just got back from shooting my last roll of drugstore Fuji 200. Pics coming soon.</p>