Gallery Sort - recent release

G-P

Hey Folks - this has been a long time coming but would love your thoughts on the relatively new gallery sort function. It was released last week - feedback is welcome as always.

1692698492_ScreenShot2017-07-31at12_34_44PM.thumb.png.cfb0d2b5f193ced2a4c1d10d3ec078a0.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Glen,When I read your note,I thought...FINALLY.but it does not work for me.When I want to view my galleries,only the first 10 out of the 143 will show up with no way to scroll down.The photo sort will not work nor will the gallery sort as there is no INSERTION function and this is particularly frustrating when creating a new gallery which shows up on top of the galleries list;now try to move this gallery....say at position 98 to fit in the alphabatical order,a task so easy in the former version,now quasi-impossible for me or anybody with a large portfolio.Sorting this out would be part of the incentive to get me to sign on for another spell.

ok, looks like once the green dropdown menu is added it will give you access to all galleries. Currently it is only in sort photos in gallery.

We need access to the actual galleries in order to drag and drop them into a new order. Unless the drop down menu will somehow allow us to reorder the galleries within that drop down menu, I'm not sure how it will help with dragging and dropping the galleries into a new order.

In terms of keeping track of comments, is there a convenient and easy-to-find searchable list yet of comments made on our photos, comments we've made on others' photos, and follow up comments made to photos we've commented on? These searchable lists were key in keeping in touch with responses to critiques and helped in establishing so many of the good dialogues we used to have on each others' photos.

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

We need access to the actual galleries in order to drag and drop them into a new order. Unless the drop down menu will somehow allow us to reorder the galleries within that drop down menu, I'm not sure how it will help with dragging and dropping the galleries into a new order.

In terms of keeping track of comments, is there a convenient and easy-to-find searchable list yet of comments made on our photos, comments we've made on others' photos, and follow up comments made to photos we've commented on? These searchable lists were key in keeping in touch with responses to critiques and helped in establishing so many of the good dialogues we used to have on each others' photos.

Tracking comments is high on their list, coming soon

Glen, don't consider this a complaint as P/N serves my purposes as is and I accept it and all its flaws, real or imagined. But, FYI, the photos in the galleries when viewed in "gallery photo sort" are displayed in a completely random order making the "gallery photo sort" feature useless.

I created 4 galleries to try this out.

The galleries were created without any problem....good. I didn't add photos, I only want to test the new sort feature.

When I went to sort the galleries, I had to scroll down to see all 4 at the same time. That isn't good. They are still in the same large box I had months ago.

The gallery sort didn't work. They only traded places.

Windows 7 on Firefox most recent version.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. It works better for those with smaller number of galleries - back to the drawing board for those with many galleries as it is frustrating. We suggested a smaller list view of just gallery titles with a (+ and -) so you could see thumbnails in gallery if by chance you don't know the photos within the gallery by name. then within the gallery list view - simple up and down buttons once highlighted.

Glenn, I only have 4 galleries with no images in any. I can't see a list of 4 galleries without scrolling down. Then, I can't place them where I want to. They only trade places. It doesn't work better for less galleries, it doesn't work period. How about just a list of the gallery names so they can be placed where we want them to be? That's all the sort function needs to do. My aging memory was aware of which gallery held which images before I deleted them.

An old-fashioned solution but it will work - allow us to enter a 3 digit sort sequence # for each gallery. If we don't particularly care how a group of galleries sort, we could give them the same sort # and let them sort alpho (by gallery title within the sort #. I would be glad to provide detailed specs and examples if you are interested in examining this approach. But I don't want to waste my time if you already have your mind set on how to approach. It takes a little work on the front end but it easy to make changes thereafter. The same approach can be used for images within a gallery. I have used this approach many times in designing databases. I know it is easy to implement and users never complain.

• 2 weeks later...
Frigo, I feel your frustration. The lack of functionality in the portfolio section is why I deleted all my galleries and then all but 3 images...those 3 refuse to delete. I know this isn't a solution for many people. Glen said they are going back to the drawing board. I've given up on this issue being resolved and I won't renew my subscription, in part because of it. Portfolio management was a problem back when we were invited to beta test the new site. It still is.

Laura. However frustrated I am with what has been done to the ''comfortable'' PN I had gotten to appreciate for how it catered to my meager photo requirements,I have decided to give it another go and renewed for an additional year.The optimiste in me says that someone in that tech staff will sneak a look at how the old version easily acheived the basic tasks that we need to manage our portfolios and find a way for this new version to perform.While at it,I hope that they also find a way to ease away from the need ''to load more'' to see one's work,especially those of us with large folio.....this is chasing away outside visitors who find this too tedious and of particular concern to me as my images reflect my rural community and ''my local visitors'' are now shying away.Hope you stay for a spell more.Salutations-Laurent

Maybe there is hope Frigo. I always appreciate optimism, and usually try to find the goodness in most things.Today the last 3 images finally left my portfolio. That's progress. For me the lack of functionality in the portfolio became more frustrating than it was worth. Parting with it resulted in less headaches. My participation is way down across the site and I'll put the money to other uses. I'll remain a registered user and will visit the Nature forum, but that's about it. The site used to be a useful tool for me. If it becomes a good tool to use again, then I'll be happy to pay. Maybe it will get fixed. I hope that your optimism is rewarded. You deserve that.
  • Like 2

Laura,...Hope management reads up on this and finds a way to address some/all of these basic issues before too many of the faithful members seek comfort elsewhere.You take care and keep watching for that cure which will make PN attractive enough to pull you back in.Salutations--Laurent
  • Like 1