Gallery representation?

I have had a few small gallery showings. The last one went quite well, selling over half of

my photos in a 10 day show. Now I am starting to get some interest from larger, more

"mainstream" galleries. I'm scheduled to have 12 photos in a show in January. They asked

if I had "gallery representation", which I do not. And I realized that I only have a vague idea

of what, specifically, "gallery representation" means.

So what does it mean? I'm not talking about a simple gallery contract, which spells out the

split between gallery owner and photographer for sales. I'm talking about other aspects.

Do they

act like an agent? Does this mean I can't sell art prints on my own, off my website, for

example? Does this restrict me from selling in other galleries? Do they market my work to

larger galleries in New York or LA? Other than the immediate sales from a particular

gallery showing, what else to they get out of "representation"? What should I expect from

them?

Since my work seems to be getting some attention, and is fairly unique, I'm thinking of

inquiring with larger city galleries, and perhaps even European galleries, and I don't want

to mess that up by signing something with a local gallery that would impede that.

Sure, Art. It also occurred to me that they wouldn't necessarily be the best source for an

unbiased answer, since it is to their advantage that I don't have gallery representation. So I

thought I'd check here, where nobody is invested in whether or not I am.

Hi Scott.

When I was back in University, I had a solo exhibit on a series I'm still working on. These were large digital prints, and I had a little opening and the college helped me with postcards and they sent them to all the foo foo places and art galleries around and whatnot. The most notable and respected gallery in my state came to see the exhibit on opening night. I had never spoke to anyone from the gallery. A week later, I got a phone call from the gallery and they wanted to meet with me. I'm still represented with them, and it has been three years.

Each gallery is different. My gallery, for example, represents me in the state of NH. They show my work to people when they come into the gallery, they try to sell my work to companies looking for work on their walls, and they do their best to keep my morale up. They have enabled me to be accepted into the AAF in NYC for three years, and they helped me get into a group museum exibit in New Jersey.

They act as promoters; trying to get your name out and exposure. My gallery also tosses out names of other galleries in other states that they know of that might like my work. Seeing me get into other galleries only helps them make more sales with my work.

Some galleries will only want to represent you for certain areas of your state, and others will want state-wide exclusivity. When I want to exhibit somewhere else in my state, I have to make sure they know about it. They don't want me showing in places like bagel shops or anything like that. Those days are over.

I'm still able to make sales in other states on my own. I've sold privately to places as far away as Japan. The only thing they want is that if someone in the state is interested, I should send them to my gallery.

Gallery representation is pretty back and forth; its alot of work from both sides. SOme galleries will be very cold, and some others will be warm and friendly. I like to stick to galleries where they like to check in on me and vise versa.

I don't know if that answers anything. But sit down and have a good chat with them. Find out what they like about your work, and where they see you going.

But keep looking for galleries everywhere. I'm having a little trouble in my area, because most of the stuff that sells here is watercolours of barns and fall foliage. People don't seem to go for the more contemporary stuff.

Best of luck,

Sid