something out of it. The resulting effort is a series of photos from Klintsy,

Russia; Kiev, Ukraine and Pripyat, covering the current state of this part of

the world 20 years after the Chernobyl disaster. I feel the story and the

angle I took may be good enough to bring interest, but I am just not sure how

to go about the next step of getting the photos to the public eye, either at a

private, or a publically funded gallery. How do I go about portfolio

development and presentation and other details like funding for

enlargements/framing. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good site,

or has any experience in this field, any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance:-)

Sean<div>00INnn-32891884.thumb.jpg.ccd6b08175df6ce8acecdb7e203e06cf.jpg</div>

I am interested in how these titles are "cliche, trite and unimaginative". I think that titling an image is a personal thing and centres around what that image means to the photographer when he/she captured it.

We the viewer, have the right to decide what that image means to us and a title, whilst it may be "heavy", is an integral part of the image. It also helps you to understand what the photographer saw in the image they were capturing.

Personally, I don't believe that we have the right to tell a photographer "to think of better titles or don't title". That is tantamount to saying "shoot better images or don't shoot". It is important to remember that photography is subjective, not objective.

Have a happy day.

Regards

"Personally, I don't believe that we have the right to tell a photographer "to think of better titles or don't title". That is tantamount to saying "shoot better images or don't shoot". It is important to remember that photography is subjective, not objective."

That's a bad analogy. Keep the image, but if you can't come up with a good title, just title it "Untitled.", or as suggested title with the date and place. It works for many great photographers who don't force themselves to hang kitschy (and the above titles are very kitschy and korny) titles on their work.

<I>"I am interested in how these titles are "cliche, trite and unimaginative". I think that titling an image is a personal thing and centres around what that image means to the photographer when he/she captured it."</I>

<P>

That is an absolutely valid viewpoint, however in this case the unambiguous titles do not allow room for interpretation. And therefore they rob me of a portion of the joy inherent in viewing the images. Let me explain why by quoting a former PN member:

<P>

<I>"The notion of a directed viewing is not a presentation (gift) to the audience, it is a monologue - I never like titles or words associated with images if their intent is to guide the viewers natural response to towards the artist's predetermined conclusion - this is not 'art' - it is propaganda." ? Peter A</I>

<P>

I find this concept more in line with my view of photography presented as art, but as I said earlier, you may feel differently and that's equally valid.

<P>

I would suggest the OP be a little less blunt in his titles if for no other reason than to allow the viewer to have their own experience.

Thank everyone so much for their feelings. Negative or positive, you have really made me think about whether, or not I should title at all. In all honesty, I did not have them titled in the first place, but the posting asked for one and I literally spent about 30 seconds to come up with a title for each, as seems aparent to many of the posters. That being said, I have had no comments, whatsoever on the emotional impact or composition of the few photos I did post, or get much response to my initial question. Any comments regarding these factors would be much appreciated. Thanks again to all:-)

Sean

Sean, I find the first and last (last being the ferris wheel) the most compelling images given the context you've provided. And if the rest of the portfolio is as viually interesting I would think you could easily get a showing at a local gallery. An easy introduction would be to approach galleries that offer "unjuried showings" (i.e. you simply sign-up for a date and when it comes around you hang your work).

As for funding, I would expect you would need to do most of the work yourself to minimize out-of-pocket expenses. I'm not sure how many images you plan on showing but if you do the work (printing, cutting mats, installing in simple frames) you should be able to put an a matted and framed image for between $15 and $25 depending on the size. You could even consider clip-frames if that suites you.