GAF Isodol

nvanzanten

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I was given several cans of Isodol, and I brought one up to Alaska with me. The can is supposed to make a gallon of developer, but I don't have a lot of space in my room, and I didn't have a gallon container, so I made it up in a liter of water instead of a gallon. I used hot tap water, and everything dissolved, and stayed dissolved when the solution cooled. Since I don't have a thermometer, or a light meter up here, I rely on long development times and dilute solutions. I dilute my 1 liter concentrate 1:10, and develop for around 20 minutes. I agitate for 30 seconds, or so, and then get in the shower. After my shower, I agitate again for a few seconds, and then get dressed. Then I pour out the developer and pour in the fixer, etc. This system has worked very well for me. I'm shooting some kind of Chinese film I bought from Ultrafine online in 120 format. </p>

• 8 years later...
<p>Does any one have recent experience with this. I have a quantity of 5 oz cans and was thinking of giving it try. But wondering if newer films need any kind of adjustment?</p>

Isodol is the equivalent of Kodak DK-50 film developer. Dilute it 1:1 and follow times for Stock D-76. I still have a couple of cans myself and I still use it.

from Modern Photography 1960-10

KODAK DK-50 & ANSCO ISODOL: Two

energetic non-fine-grain types which,

diluted, make soft-working single·

shots. Medium to high film speed,

good sharpness, moderate contrast.

In general, lsodol develops negatives

to a slightly higher contrast than

DK-50 will in the same time. Use lso·

dol for Ansco films, DK-50 for Kodak

films. Useful and inexpensive to de·

velop large numbers of films quickly.

Price: DK-50, 1 gal. powder, 75 cents;

lsodol 65 cents. Eastman Kodak Co.,

Rochester 4, N. Y. Ansco,

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
I have also tried DK-50 1:1 recently on some 12 year out of date apx 100 sheet film that was not stored properly to test my super graphic. I was very impressed that I had very little fogging. I used Elliot's t max 1:4 time and it was very very close. I have been using Diafine and I like it but it is not kind to out of date film. Will mix up some DK-60 soon. Thanks everyone for keeping old technology alive and well.

Some say that Diafine is fine for out of date films. I never tried a side-by-side comparison,

but some of the older films I have had, I did in Diafine.

Well, some years ago I had a roll of Tri-X that I shot 30 years earlier.

(My father found it in a camera that I had borrowed from him.)

There is some age fog, but otherwise it seems fine.

But otherwise, my choice for old film is usually HC-110 (B).

-- glen