w_t1

Anyone use a third-party adaptor, this is the adaptor for accessory

lenses, filters? Canon wants $50 at B&H for the LA-DC58D (G6), which

I think is ridiculous for an ounce or two of aluminum. On ebay I

found some in the $8-$10 range that look to serve the similar

purpose. All I want to do is attach a polarizer filter. Thank you

Canon for no lens filter threads, my Nikon (cp 950) and Olympus

(8080) can do it, but not you.

The Nikon 5700 doesn't have one either becuase it is unwise to hang too much weight on the actual lens so anything is added via a collar screwing into the body. I don't know what the Canon thing is but at that price I imaging it is a collar similar to what Nikon sell for their 5nnn series cameras. Often limited production line equals higher costs which escalates through the supply chain.

If the camera lens doesn't dissapear under a cover on shut-down, the 5700 simply retreats flush with the body, so it was possible for me to fit a step-up ring to the camera which then holds filter or lens, but NOT adaptor lens, for those I have a collar. In the 5700 case it has a rim 43mm diameter to which i fitted slightly turned down 43.5<46mm step-up ring.

The gadgets on Ebay may be a slip on device which works quite well except for when you switch off the camera and the retreat of the lens pushes it off .. I made my own for my s20 Canon. An idea I read about afterwards was that the slip on part/tube of the holder contained an 'O' ring to grip the lens ... but you still have to remmber to take it off before switching off, or to the review mode, otherwise you may have a cracked and/or scratched lens on the ground.