FYI: Pentax $100 rebate *AND* free 3yr warranty on K20D until Feb 22, 2009

ken_yee

<p>Yeah it's a crock. In fact, crap like this is what really turns me off of a company. I've been shopping the last 6 months trying to find the pefect deal. Like Bethe said, if they hadn't pulled this crap that would have finally been the perfect deal I was waiting for. Guess I'm back to square one and am going back to give canikon and sony a second look. A <strong>serious</strong> look. B.S. marketing like this just gets me irate.</p>

<p>Nah this is an in-store rebate, which means instant, which means whatever price Amazon shows should already include the $100 off. They do have $30 off with Visa so it's like $669 body only when you add it to cart. And that's through one of the resellers tho, not through Amazon.</p>

<p>I'm not sure who's doing this funky pricing. Could be the sellers trying to eat Pentax's rebate to increase their own profit. Could be Pentax changing the minimum advertised price. I was surprised everyone jacked up their prices before offering the instant rebate as well :-P<br>

I think this is the first time I've seen Pentax SLRs come w/ an instant rebate though...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sigh...I take it back. Pentax cranked up the MAP :-P<br /> <a rel="nofollow" href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=30908858" target="_blank">http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=30908858</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah I assumed it was something like that. Only reason I've even been shopping Pentax is I have an old ME Super with a few lenses. I'd thought about putting them up on ebay and using the money to switch systems since my lenses weren't anything to write home about.</p>

<p>I guess it makes sense for them to do crap like this, people who haven't currently been shopping for a camera won't even realize this scam. They walk through the store (or see it online) and see "$100 off!!" and have no idea that it was $150 cheaper 3 days ago even without the discount.</p>

<p>Oh well, not jumping ship yet as it still makes more sense for me to stick with Pentax. But it's going to have be one heck of a deal now. Most of you already have a camera, so just getting a cheap second body probably isn't that big of a deal. But as someone who was going to make a purchase in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and has been shopping and price-checking and re-checking this is kind of insulting. It's as if Pentax is treating their customers like they're too stupid to realize they're getting screwed.</p>

<p>$100 OFF!!!!! (after we jack the base price back up by $250) WHAT A SWEET DEAL!!!! I'LL TAKE 3 PENTAX!!!!</p>

<p>Wouldn't surprise me if this is all part of a plan, tho. Probably throw out another $100 mail-in rebate to get it back down to where they were last week or something, make a little extra off the interest for 6-8 weeks.</p>

<p>Pentax is enforcing MAP and thats why K20D price went up with rebate promo. Looks like K20D costs you more with $100 instant rebate. Heres a thread daylighting this higher price promo policy:</p>

<p><a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=30908858">http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=30908858</a></p>

<p>Oops, I see I am few hour late linking this thread on Pentax K20D price increase/rebate scheme .</p>

<p>Javier you (((GET The Award))) for all time best price on K20D. At $549 I would have bought two. At $689 I bought one, considered a second one but passed on Nov 11th 2008. At the current $809 I'll buy no more.</p>

<p>$549 is a Heck of a Great Deal!</p>

<p>Over at PF one of the guys posted that amazon link on the K20D for $549.00. Turns out it was a mistake as they meant to put the K200D for $549.00, but amazon honored the price. Ever since that time, I have virtually done all my online shopping through amazon. Now if I could just stop them from sending me a daily dose of junk mail, all will be good on planet earth.</p>

<p>Javier, log in to Amazon and go to the settings (top right), you can stop that spam (Email and Notification preferences). Only thing I have sent is legal stuff, policy changes, etc. Or if you use gmail you can set up a filter to auto-archive them and skip the inbox (but still be available in "all mail").</p>